BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Piotr Gregor

I have just installed boost_1_54 by checkout from svn and then

bootstrap
.\b2

it compiles well all but one project: test-suite which uses BOOST_MESSAGE. this is undefined. I see that there is no BOOST_MESSAGE in my version of boost. is this QuantLib incompatibility or I've missed something? on my linux boost version the same thing applies to BOOST_MESSAGE - it is undefined

I have seen that this is now deprecated
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_34_0/libs/test/doc/components/test_tools/reference/deprecated.html

shouldn't we do #define BOOST_MESSAGE(msg) BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE(msg)
or have I just missed something?
the same with BOOST_ERROR

regards,
cf16

why always me?

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Luigi Ballabio
Hello,
    I'll copy the answer that I just gave you on Stack Overflow:

I'm afraid you gave us more credit than we deserved :)

We haven't compiled QuantLib against Boost svn yet. The latest I've
tried is Boost 1.53 (the latest released version) in which
BOOST_MESSAGE was still available.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'll patch the library so that it's
ready for next version. As mentioned in the comments, it should be as
simple as adding

#if BOOST_VERSION > 105300
#define BOOST_MESSAGE(msg) BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE(msg)
#endif

to test-suite/utilities.hpp.

Luigi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM, cf16-2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just installed boost_1_54 by checkout from svn and then
>
> bootstrap
> .\b2
>
> it compiles well all but one project: test-suite which uses BOOST_MESSAGE.
> this is undefined. I see that there is no BOOST_MESSAGE in my version of
> boost. is this QuantLib incompatibility or I've missed something? on my
> linux boost version the same thing applies to BOOST_MESSAGE - it is
> undefined
>
> I have seen that this is now deprecated
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_34_0/libs/test/doc/components/test_tools/reference/deprecated.html
>
> shouldn't we do #define BOOST_MESSAGE(msg) BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE(msg)
> or have I just missed something?
> the same with BOOST_ERROR
>
> regards,
> cf16

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Piotr Gregor
This post was updated on .
Hi Luigi, thanks for the answer, let me copy from Stack Overflow too:.

(..)
BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE is undefined too, but I am still searching

and there are more things: BOOST_ERROR, BOOST_CHECK, also ambiguities regarding const void*=&boost::test_tools::check_is_close in test-suite\utilities.hpp
I could solve it but I cannot commit to QuantLib svn.
why always me?

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Luigi Ballabio
Ok, let me know if you solve the issue.

But for the time being, I suggest you stick with Boost 1.53.

Luigi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM, cf16-2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Luigi, thanks for the answer, let me copy from Stack Overflow too:.
>
> (..)
> BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE is undefined too, but I am still searching
>
> and there are more things: BOOST_ERROR, BOOST_CHECK, also ambiguities
> regarding const void*=&boost::test_tools::check_is_close

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Piotr Gregor
other projects compile well, so it seems there is only issue with BOOST TEST
why always me?

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Piotr Gregor
This post was updated on .
on linux I had to add

> libboost_unit_test_framework.so

to the Linker->Libraries and  #include <boost/test/unit_test.hpp>.

    #define BOOST_MESSAGE( M )                  BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE( M )

is already present in test/test_tools.hpp.
on windows I have different #defines and this is not present, so I added it to the

> unit_test_log.hpp

where BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE is defined (in boost files to avoid same issue again in the case of other applications using BOOST_MESSAGE). BOOST_MESSAGE issue resolved but still can't disambiguate
const void* = boost::test_tools::check_is_close
and  void* = boost::test_tools::check_is_small
because these are templates. so the solution is to remove it (test-suite compiles well) or use appropriate pointers to function templates
why always me?

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Luigi Ballabio
Sorry, what are you using on Linux? libboost_unit_test_framework.so
should have been added to the makefile options by configure.  Also,
<boost/test/unit_test.hpp> is already included in
test-suite/utilities.hpp, which is included by all the cpp files in
the test suite.

Luigi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM, cf16-2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on linux I had to add
>
>> libboost_unit_test_framework.so
>
> to the Linker->Libraries and  #include <boost/test/unit_test.hpp>.
>
>     #define BOOST_MESSAGE( M )                  BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE( M )
>
> is already present in test/test_tools.hpp.
> on windows I have different #defines and this is not present, so I added it
> to the
>
>> unit_test_log.hpp
>
> where BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE is defined (in boost files to avoid same issue
> again in the case of other applications using BOOST_MESSAGE). BOOST_MESSAGE
> issue resolved but still can't default initialize
> const void* = boost::test_tools::check_is_close
> and  void* = boost::test_tools::check_is_small

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Piotr Gregor
This post was updated on .
on Linux I develop other application. It is OK now, I just didn't know what to include.
but on Windows, after romoval or function
_use_check
changed to not have pointers to TEMPLATE functions as default, so changed to:

void _use_check(
                        const void*,
                        const void*) const {}

there were still errors while building test-suite project. unresolved externals: fdmhestonfwdop, fdmblackscholesfwdop, fdmsquarerootfwdop. obviously this classes (headers+source) I had to add to Quantlib project, build library QuantLib-vc110-mt-gd.lib again and rebuild test-suite project then. It's interesting how always some headers, sources are missing in main project, and test-suite can't link, at least I have always this issue.
after pleasure with VS linker error "lnk1210 exceeded internal ilk size limit link with incremental no" (it really likes RAM, but on windows I have this resource quite limited), it is OK. compiled. : p
test-suite: 1 test failed.

what will be a solution to _use_check function?
we can declare _use_check as template called with pointers to appropriate functions, or leave them as void* as above, or just remove this function.
I prefer rather to update my local repository with valid and up-to-date version of utilities.hpp to keep cohesion and green mark on folders, I don't like red.
why always me?

Re: BOOST_MESSAGE undefined

Luigi Ballabio
I'll try and check out Boost from svn when I have some time.

In the meantime, I suggest you stick with released versions to avoid
having to do local changes.

Luigi