C++11

Joseph Wang-4
Quick question.  Are there plans to allow the use of C++11 syntax in Quantlib?

There's a lot of cool new stuff in C++11 that make the code a lot more readable, and I was wondering when we can start using that?

Re: C++11

Luigi Ballabio
The problem is the Visual C++ support for the features. According to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx, the first version with support for a decent subset of C++11 features was Visual Studio 2013, and more or less complete support is only in Visual Studio 2015. Using features such as initializer lists (which is likely to be used in any C++11 code) would make it impossible to use any prior version, and use of constexpr (also not exoteric) would force one to use VS 2015.

Now, I don't have precise statistics (I'll make a poll and try to get some) but the downloads of .zip releases are about twice as many as .tar.gz releases, so I'm guessing that the majority of users is on Windows. Depending on their IT deps, they might or might not have access to the latest Visual C++. My general feeling from talking to people is that C++11 would cut out a significant fraction of people, so I'd wait to introduce it in the code.

A possibility could be to create a C++11 branch, but that would have to be kept in sync with master (and viceversa). I'm not sure that I have time for that, so it would depend on some good people contributing work on it.

Later,
    Luigi