Coding cryptocurrencies

Joseph Wang-4
I've starting doing some quant work on coding cryptocurrency
derivative code.  One question that I have is the way of representing
bitcoin.  There is infrastructure for representing currencies, but
while cryptocurrencies have codes associated with them, they don't
have fractional items or ISO numbers.

I was wondering if it would be worth refactoring the CommodityType and
Currency classes into subclasses of an AssetType class.

Re: Coding cryptocurrencies

Luigi Ballabio
Hi Joseph,
    I'm not sure about the asset class. The whole commodity folder has been kind of an abandoned project. I wouldn't tie currencies to it before giving it a good, hard look.

The lack of fractional items shouldn't be a problem (there are also fiat currencies that don't have them). I'm not sure about the numeric code. You might try returning a null and see if this breaks anything.

Later,
    Luigi

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Joseph Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've starting doing some quant work on coding cryptocurrency
derivative code.  One question that I have is the way of representing
bitcoin.  There is infrastructure for representing currencies, but
while cryptocurrencies have codes associated with them, they don't
have fractional items or ISO numbers.

I was wondering if it would be worth refactoring the CommodityType and
Currency classes into subclasses of an AssetType class.

Re: Coding cryptocurrencies

Joseph Wang-4
OK.  I'll hold off on using commodities.

Also, have you looked at the intraday patches?  I'd like to get those
merged into the mainline since my bitcoin stuff depends on those.