Configure woes; sed's unhappy

Johann Hibschman-2
Hi folks,

I've just joined the list, downloaded the source tarball, and have tried
to compile it.  Unfortunately, it's not working.  Everything seems to
configure, but then I get the following messages while building it:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
sed: file /tmp/cs7312-16400/subs-1.sed line 40: Unterminated `s' command
sed: file /tmp/cs7312-16400/subs-2.sed line 3: Unknown command: ``j''

...repeat for all the other makefiles...

Any idea what's going on here?  I'm on Mac OS X, so it's not a very
common platform, but it's BSD-based, and is generally easy to port to.

Thanks,

--Johann

Re: Configure woes; sed's unhappy

Luigi Ballabio-4
Johann,
         sorry for the delay. I don't really know what's going on here, but
could it be a line-ending problem (i.e., the old \r vs \n thing)?
I think that I've seen it suggested somewhere to dump the tar executable
which comes with MacOS X and rebuild it from the latest gnu sources.
The instructions were:

wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/tar-1.13.tar.gz
tar -zxvf tar-1.13.tar.gz
cd tar-1.13
cp /usr/libexec/config.guess .
cp /usr/libexec/config.sub .
./configure
make

Please let me know if this helped. (not that it will be of any use to me.
My old beige G3 at home doesn't run MacOS X. Oh, jealousy and envy :)

Bye,
         Luigi

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 10:02  AM, Luigi Ballabio wrote:

> Johann,
>         sorry for the delay. I don't really know what's going on here,
> but could it be a line-ending problem (i.e., the old \r vs \n thing)?

No problem, I figured it out.  It wasn't line endings; OS X prefers \n.

> I think that I've seen it suggested somewhere to dump the tar
> executable which comes with MacOS X and rebuild it from the latest gnu
> sources.

Nor was it tar.  I think tar is fine; you just can't trust the version
of StuffIt that comes with OS X.  It truncates filenames in tarfiles to
32 characters.

What fixed it, finally, was installing the latest GNU versions of
autoconf, automake, and libtool, running bootstrap, and then
re-configuring.  It's compiling happily as I type.

OS X does have a very old version of g++, so I'm a little worried about
the compilation process, but it seems happy so far.  I'll let the list
know if something doesn't work.

Thanks,

--Johann