Debugging dates

igitur
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys debug Quantlib, specifically with reference to the dates. I'm from a .NET background, so when I put a breakpoint, and add some variables to my watches, the dates show in a human readable format.

In C++, the Quantlib dates show only as the internal serial number. In the Visual Studio Immediate window, I can do someDate.year(), someDate.month() and someDate.dayOfMonth(), but that is quite cumbersome to do every time I want to see a dates human readable value.

How do you guys do it?

Francois Botha

Re: Debugging dates

Peter Caspers-4
Kim wrote something in the same line for QuantLib::Array some time ago
(which may also serve as an example)

http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com/Debugging-QuantLib-Array-in-msvc-td7565.html

Maybe it would be nice to collect such pretty printers for QuantLib
types in the repository (for msvc, gdb, ...) ?

On 9 July 2014 17:37, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't done this myself for Quantlib, and I don't have the time at the
> moment to help, but if you're using Visual Studio you need to add a section
> to a file called autoexp.dat. Here's a post on Stack Overflow with a bunch
> of links describing the process: http://stackoverflow.com/q/4883238/1181561
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering how you guys debug Quantlib, specifically with reference
>> to the dates. I'm from a .NET background, so when I put a breakpoint, and
>> add some variables to my watches, the dates show in a human readable format.
>>
>> In C++, the Quantlib dates show only as the internal serial number. In the
>> Visual Studio Immediate window, I can do someDate.year(), someDate.month()
>> and someDate.dayOfMonth(), but that is quite cumbersome to do every time I
>> want to see a dates human readable value.
>>
>> How do you guys do it?
>>
>> Francois Botha

Re: Debugging dates

igitur
Thanks Michael and Peter.

This is definitely a wonderful little hidden gem. Wish I knew about this before. I adds a lot of value for the boost classes, but I can't get it to work for Date. It seems you can use only data members, and not functions, e.g. .dayOfMonth(). Do you know of a workaround? In the meantime I'm looking into using EEAdIn ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8fwk67y3%28v=VS.90%29.aspx )

Francois Botha

On 9 July 2014 21:02, Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kim wrote something in the same line for QuantLib::Array some time ago
(which may also serve as an example)

http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com/Debugging-QuantLib-Array-in-msvc-td7565.html

Maybe it would be nice to collect such pretty printers for QuantLib
types in the repository (for msvc, gdb, ...) ?

On 9 July 2014 17:37, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't done this myself for Quantlib, and I don't have the time at the
> moment to help, but if you're using Visual Studio you need to add a section
> to a file called autoexp.dat. Here's a post on Stack Overflow with a bunch
> of links describing the process: http://stackoverflow.com/q/4883238/1181561
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering how you guys debug Quantlib, specifically with reference
>> to the dates. I'm from a .NET background, so when I put a breakpoint, and
>> add some variables to my watches, the dates show in a human readable format.
>>
>> In C++, the Quantlib dates show only as the internal serial number. In the
>> Visual Studio Immediate window, I can do someDate.year(), someDate.month()
>> and someDate.dayOfMonth(), but that is quite cumbersome to do every time I
>> want to see a dates human readable value.
>>
>> How do you guys do it?
>>
>> Francois Botha

Re: Debugging dates

igitur
I've managed to put together an EEAddIn. It works for me. I attach the source.

You'll have to fix the references to QuantLib and Boost. After compilation, copy the .dll to your %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ directory and add this line to autoexp.dat:

QuantLib::Date=$ADDIN(QuantLibEE.dll,AddIn_quantlibdate)

Maybe this project can be extended for other types too.

Francois Botha

On 10 July 2014 11:58, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Michael and Peter.

This is definitely a wonderful little hidden gem. Wish I knew about this before. I adds a lot of value for the boost classes, but I can't get it to work for Date. It seems you can use only data members, and not functions, e.g. .dayOfMonth(). Do you know of a workaround? In the meantime I'm looking into using EEAdIn ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8fwk67y3%28v=VS.90%29.aspx )

Francois Botha

On 9 July 2014 21:02, Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kim wrote something in the same line for QuantLib::Array some time ago
(which may also serve as an example)

http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com/Debugging-QuantLib-Array-in-msvc-td7565.html

Maybe it would be nice to collect such pretty printers for QuantLib
types in the repository (for msvc, gdb, ...) ?

On 9 July 2014 17:37, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't done this myself for Quantlib, and I don't have the time at the
> moment to help, but if you're using Visual Studio you need to add a section
> to a file called autoexp.dat. Here's a post on Stack Overflow with a bunch
> of links describing the process: http://stackoverflow.com/q/4883238/1181561
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering how you guys debug Quantlib, specifically with reference
>> to the dates. I'm from a .NET background, so when I put a breakpoint, and
>> add some variables to my watches, the dates show in a human readable format.
>>
>> In C++, the Quantlib dates show only as the internal serial number. In the
>> Visual Studio Immediate window, I can do someDate.year(), someDate.month()
>> and someDate.dayOfMonth(), but that is quite cumbersome to do every time I
>> want to see a dates human readable value.
>>
>> How do you guys do it?
>>
>> Francois Botha

QuantLibEE.zip (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Debugging dates

Luigi Ballabio
Yes, it could at least be extended with Peter's code for Arrays.

In fact, it looks exactly like a project for which you could create a
new repository on GitHub :)

Luigi

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've managed to put together an EEAddIn. It works for me. I attach the
> source.
>
> You'll have to fix the references to QuantLib and Boost. After compilation,
> copy the .dll to your %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\Common7\IDE\ directory and add this line to autoexp.dat:
>
> QuantLib::Date=$ADDIN(QuantLibEE.dll,AddIn_quantlibdate)
>
> Maybe this project can be extended for other types too.
>
> Francois Botha
>

> On 10 July 2014 11:58, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Michael and Peter.
>>
>> This is definitely a wonderful little hidden gem. Wish I knew about this
>> before. I adds a lot of value for the boost classes, but I can't get it to
>> work for Date. It seems you can use only data members, and not functions,
>> e.g. .dayOfMonth(). Do you know of a workaround? In the meantime I'm looking
>> into using EEAdIn (
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8fwk67y3%28v=VS.90%29.aspx )
>>
>> Francois Botha
>>

>> On 9 July 2014 21:02, Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kim wrote something in the same line for QuantLib::Array some time ago
>>> (which may also serve as an example)
>>>

>>> http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com/Debugging-QuantLib-Array-in-msvc-td7565.html
>>>
>>> Maybe it would be nice to collect such pretty printers for QuantLib
>>> types in the repository (for msvc, gdb, ...) ?

<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: Debugging dates

igitur
The Arrays can be done by directly adding to the autoexp.dat file. But yes, maybe a consolidated place for all debug extensions is better. I can add a repo, but would like someone to double-check my code. Not sure if I linked to the Quantlib lib in the best way. The resulting QuantlibEE.dll file is quite big and I guess it's because it links the entire Quantlib lib, even though only Quantlib Date is required for now. Any optimisation that can be done?

Francois Botha

On 10 July 2014 16:19, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, it could at least be extended with Peter's code for Arrays.

In fact, it looks exactly like a project for which you could create a
new repository on GitHub :)

Luigi

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've managed to put together an EEAddIn. It works for me. I attach the
> source.
>
> You'll have to fix the references to QuantLib and Boost. After compilation,
> copy the .dll to your %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\Common7\IDE\ directory and add this line to autoexp.dat:
>
> QuantLib::Date=$ADDIN(QuantLibEE.dll,AddIn_quantlibdate)
>
> Maybe this project can be extended for other types too.
>
> Francois Botha
>

> On 10 July 2014 11:58, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Michael and Peter.
>>
>> This is definitely a wonderful little hidden gem. Wish I knew about this
>> before. I adds a lot of value for the boost classes, but I can't get it to
>> work for Date. It seems you can use only data members, and not functions,
>> e.g. .dayOfMonth(). Do you know of a workaround? In the meantime I'm looking
>> into using EEAdIn (
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8fwk67y3%28v=VS.90%29.aspx )
>>
>> Francois Botha
>>

>> On 9 July 2014 21:02, Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kim wrote something in the same line for QuantLib::Array some time ago
>>> (which may also serve as an example)
>>>

>>> http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com/Debugging-QuantLib-Array-in-msvc-td7565.html
>>>
>>> Maybe it would be nice to collect such pretty printers for QuantLib
>>> types in the repository (for msvc, gdb, ...) ?

<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: Debugging dates

Luigi Ballabio
The linker should be smart enough to only link what's needed. I'm not
familiar with the environment, though.

On 10 July 2014 17:07, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
The linker should be smart enough to only link what's needed. I'm not
familiar with the environment, though.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Arrays can be done by directly adding to the autoexp.dat file. But yes,
> maybe a consolidated place for all debug extensions is better. I can add a
> repo, but would like someone to double-check my code. Not sure if I linked
> to the Quantlib lib in the best way. The resulting QuantlibEE.dll file is
> quite big and I guess it's because it links the entire Quantlib lib, even
> though only Quantlib Date is required for now. Any optimisation that can be
> done?
>
> Francois Botha
>

> On 10 July 2014 16:19, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it could at least be extended with Peter's code for Arrays.
>>
>> In fact, it looks exactly like a project for which you could create a
>> new repository on GitHub :)
>>
>> Luigi
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've managed to put together an EEAddIn. It works for me. I attach the
>> > source.
>> >
>> > You'll have to fix the references to QuantLib and Boost. After
>> > compilation,
>> > copy the .dll to your %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> > 10.0\Common7\IDE\ directory and add this line to autoexp.dat:
>> >
>> > QuantLib::Date=$ADDIN(QuantLibEE.dll,AddIn_quantlibdate)
>> >
>> > Maybe this project can be extended for other types too.
>> >
>> > Francois Botha

>> --
>> <https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
>> <https://twitter.com/lballabio>

--
<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: Debugging dates

Luigi Ballabio
...and forked :)  Now if I actually had time to fire up a virtual
Windows box and try it...

Luigi

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, published at https://github.com/igitur/QuantLibEE
>

> Francois Botha
>

> On 10 July 2014 17:07, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The linker should be smart enough to only link what's needed. I'm not
>> familiar with the environment, though.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The Arrays can be done by directly adding to the autoexp.dat file. But
>> > yes,
>> > maybe a consolidated place for all debug extensions is better. I can add
>> > repo, but would like someone to double-check my code. Not sure if I
>> > linked
>> > to the Quantlib lib in the best way. The resulting QuantlibEE.dll file
>> > is
>> > quite big and I guess it's because it links the entire Quantlib lib,
>> > even
>> > though only Quantlib Date is required for now. Any optimisation that can
>> > be
>> > done?
>> >
>> > Francois Botha

>> --
>> <https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
>> <https://twitter.com/lballabio>

--
<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: Debugging dates

igitur
So, Luigi, if I may ask, which IDE do you use and how do you debug?

Francois Botha

On 11 July 2014 10:58, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
...and forked :)  Now if I actually had time to fire up a virtual
Windows box and try it...

Luigi

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, published at https://github.com/igitur/QuantLibEE
>

> Francois Botha
>

> On 10 July 2014 17:07, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The linker should be smart enough to only link what's needed. I'm not
>> familiar with the environment, though.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The Arrays can be done by directly adding to the autoexp.dat file. But
>> > yes,
>> > maybe a consolidated place for all debug extensions is better. I can add
>> > repo, but would like someone to double-check my code. Not sure if I
>> > linked
>> > to the Quantlib lib in the best way. The resulting QuantlibEE.dll file
>> > is
>> > quite big and I guess it's because it links the entire Quantlib lib,
>> > even
>> > though only Quantlib Date is required for now. Any optimisation that can
>> > be
>> > done?
>> >
>> > Francois Botha

>> --
>> <https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
>> <https://twitter.com/lballabio>

--
<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: Debugging dates

Luigi Ballabio
I'm still horribly old-fashioned. I write in Emacs and build with make
(and ccache). When I debug I either use gdb or (shudder) print
statements.

Luigi