EditorConfig files

igitur
Hi,

I was wondering whether there are any objections against adding .editorconfig files to all the projects. This will assist in maintaining consistent formatting (especially indentation). Most IDEs are supported. See http://editorconfig.org/ for more info.

regards,
Francois Botha

Re: EditorConfig files

Peter Caspers-4
in addtion an "official" .clang-format for QL file would be nice
(http://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormat.html)? See mine attached as an
example.
Peter

.clang-format (2K) Download Attachment

Re: EditorConfig files

igitur
I think it's up to the specific plugin of whatever IDE one uses on how the configuration is applied. But I agree with you. One doesn't want to see non-trivial diffs in the commits. I would think that a user who has the knowledge to consume these format configuration files would also know to remove irrelevant changes when doing a commit?

And I assume a once-off total reformatting of the project is going to create too many conflicts on all the branches and forks? I'm not too concerned with how the curly braces are positioned, but consistent indentation and trailing whitespace removal would be nice for a start.

Francois

Francois Botha

On 9 December 2015 at 17:04, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
No particular objection.  I'd just try to avoid having cosmetic changes making it more difficult to see what actually changed in a commit, so I'd suggest to configure editors so that they only apply the conventions to edited lines, not over the whole file. Is this possible?

Luigi

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering whether there are any objections against adding .editorconfig files to all the projects. This will assist in maintaining consistent formatting (especially indentation). Most IDEs are supported. See http://editorconfig.org/ for more info.

regards,
Francois Botha

Re: EditorConfig files

Luigi Ballabio
A once-off total reformatting is probably not worth your time :)
Ok, send me a PR.

Luigi