Getting Started with QuantLib Development

Getting Started with QuantLib Development

Ben Champion
Hi all,

I'm looking to return to quant finance after taking a stint (almost 2 years) in academia. I did a FX desk quant internship at JPM in 2013.

It seems to me that contributing to QuantLib might be a good way to re-familiarize myself with quant finance and "clean off the rust".

I have read the developer introduction. In addition to the suggestions in that document (and obligatory "RTFM" via the docs page), maybe I could start by trying to fix some bugs? It's not totally clear to me where I might start with the bugs, since they are all priority 5 (and some of the entries there are getting a bit old)! Apart from the bugs on Sourceforge, It looks like there are also some bugs listed on GitHub and in the reference manual.

I would also be grateful for further suggestions about where to start. I've had a quick look through the archives, but undoubtedly have missed things.

I look forward to the opportunity of working with you all!

Thanks,
Ben

Re: Getting Started with QuantLib Development

Luigi Ballabio
Hi Ben,
    yes, bugs would be a good place to start.  Even before fixing them, it would be great if you could triage them first, since, as you said, most are quite old (for instance, those reporting build errors from years ago can probably be closed, and others might have been fixed).

Just post here when you run into difficulties. Having someone looking at the list and pushing forward will be a great help already, even if you won't actually contribute code at the start.

Later,
    Luigi