LibreOffice/Calc addin

Lars Callenbach-2
Good evening,

I have a running version for the addin for LibreOffice/Calc. On GitHub
I have a first prototype for automatic addin code generation of
QuantLib functions and classes for Calc
(github.com/lcallenbach/quantlibaddin).

Feedback (and testing on other platforms) welcome.

Kind regards,
  Lars

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
That's very good news,
I know I could look and I will but, is that working ok for all OS? Is it based on the previous OH or on the new Reposit framework?
Thank you
pp

> I have a running version for the addin for LibreOffice/Calc. On
> GitHub
> I have a first prototype for automatic addin code generation of
> QuantLib functions and classes for Calc
> (github.com/lcallenbach/quantlibaddin).
>
> Feedback (and testing on other platforms) welcome.
>

> Kind regards,
>   Lars

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

Lars Callenbach-2
Hi,

it is independent of Reposit and has a modified version of the "old"
repository/objecthandler code of the QuantLibAddin in the folder oh.

The other code components are generated by python code based on
metadata defined under gensrc/metadata (similar to SWIG but without the
class hierarchy redefinitions).

I assume that Mac-OS is a quick win - but I have had some problems
compiling the examples of LibreOffice/SDK under Windows (unix
convention of paths in the SDK files which do not work under Windows -
help appreciated since my license of VS-C++ is expired).

Kind regards,
   Lars

Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2017, 18:50 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:

> That's very good news,
> I know I could look and I will but, is that working ok for all OS? Is
> it based on the previous OH or on the new Reposit framework?
> Thank you
> pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hi,
I like its simplicity. It works very well on my mint/ubuntu with the last version of libreoffice + sdk. I can drive the debugger directly from Calc.
Too bad the worksheets need to be rewritten but that's a minor inconvenience.
Something I am wondering, what happens now with the dependencies? Can they be forced now?
Would it be possible to get the doxygen c++ doc for free into the parameters of the functions? Through an hypothetical doxy-c++-py module?
I might pr new functions as I use them.
Best and thank you
pp

> it is independent of Reposit and has a modified version of the "old"
> repository/objecthandler code of the QuantLibAddin in the folder oh.
>
> The other code components are generated by python code based on
> metadata defined under gensrc/metadata (similar to SWIG but without
> the
> class hierarchy redefinitions).
>
> I assume that Mac-OS is a quick win - but I have had some problems
> compiling the examples of LibreOffice/SDK under Windows (unix
> convention of paths in the SDK files which do not work under Windows
> -
> help appreciated since my license of VS-C++ is expired).
>

> Kind regards,
>    Lars
>

> Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2017, 18:50 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:
> > That's very good news,
> > I know I could look and I will but, is that working ok for all OS?
> > Is
> > it based on the previous OH or on the new Reposit framework?
> > Thank you
> > pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hi Lars,
How do you declare and use abstract types? Say I want to define a new constructor (e.g. riskybond.py) which needs an pointer in its constructor of a virtual base type (defaulttermstructure) How do I declare that type? I see there are methods for the type (defaulttermstructure.py) so they can be used from all derived classes but how does one declares the abstract type to be recognised?
Best
pp

> I like its simplicity. It works very well on my mint/ubuntu with the
> last version of libreoffice + sdk. I can drive the debugger directly
> from Calc.
> Too bad the worksheets need to be rewritten but that's a minor
> inconvenience.
> Something I am wondering, what happens now with the dependencies? Can
> they be forced now?
> Would it be possible to get the doxygen c++ doc for free into the
> parameters of the functions? Through an hypothetical doxy-c++-py
> module?
> I might pr new functions as I use them.
> Best and thank you
> pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hi again,
I am not sure what I was asking makes sense anymore; something is failing when I add some extra functions but not sure where.
Some add ok some do not, so it might just be syntax staring in front of my nose.

I am looking at the code and some files contain non portable paths like line 275 of enumeratedobjects.py :
    pmd = ParseMetaData('/work/QuantLib-Addin/gensrc/metadata', 'Calc')
this does not prevent things from working on my side however.
guess it is not being used?

Best
PP

> How do you declare and use abstract types? Say I want to define a new
> constructor (e.g. riskybond.py) which needs an pointer in its
> constructor of a virtual base type (defaulttermstructure) How do I
> declare that type? I see there are methods for the type
> (defaulttermstructure.py) so they can be used from all derived
> classes but how does one declares the abstract type to be
> recognised?
> Best
> pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

Lars Callenbach-2
Hello,

I have added an example under experimental/credit/riskybond.py and in
the spreadsheet.

You need not define the base class - except you would like to refer to
member functions of it. I assume that it is not necessary to
instantiate a base class (like RiskyBond which has virtual functions).

I also added code to handle 1D return types of enumeratedobjects (ccy()
function of RiskyBond) in calc.py and for the correct handling of
std::string input parameters (like 'name' of riskybond - not handled
like objects) in addinclasses.py.

In some part of the code I have left statements of the type
--- if __name__ == "__main__": ---. You can ignore them since you
invoke 'python main.py -o'. The previous statement --- if __name__ ...
--- is for debugging since I can execute the file alone without
executing main.py.

Regards,
   Lars Callenbach

Am Montag, den 13.02.2017, 14:20 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi again,
> I am not sure what I was asking makes sense anymore; something is
> failing when I add some extra functions but not sure where.
> Some add ok some do not, so it might just be syntax staring in front
> of my nose.
>
> I am looking at the code and some files contain non portable paths
> like line 275 of enumeratedobjects.py :
>     pmd = ParseMetaData('/work/QuantLib-Addin/gensrc/metadata',
> 'Calc')
> this does not prevent things from working on my side however.
> guess it is not being used?
>
> Best
> PP

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hi,
I did realize I dont need abstract base classes. I had declared RiskyFixedBond and therefore I needed to have currencies, that went all right. Also I am declaring CDS but I get problems with the type conversion of the protection side and the schedule type (also in the defaultable bond). If I understood your doc I wrote:

ImplicitConversionsCalc = [
    ("QuantLib::Protection::Side",  "std::string", "string", "EnumeratedType", "<<"),
]

QuantLibTypes = [
    ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp", "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Buyer", "QuantLib::Protection::Buyer"),
    ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp", "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Seller", "QuantLib::Protection::Seller"),
]

is that ok? For the scehdule I will pull your code and figure it out.

Also I have moved the code under "./gensrc/code" to "./gensrc/codesrc"  the reason is that if I want to debug the python tools with eclipse or any other debugger it gets confused with /code/ and the python libraries.

Antoher minor point is that the parser is very picky on not having carriage returns on the parameter list of constructors, it fails if theres one.

Best regards
pp

> I have added an example under experimental/credit/riskybond.py and in
> the spreadsheet.
>
> You need not define the base class - except you would like to refer
> member functions of it. I assume that it is not necessary to
> instantiate a base class (like RiskyBond which has virtual
> functions).
>
> I also added code to handle 1D return types of enumeratedobjects
> (ccy()
> function of RiskyBond) in calc.py and for the correct handling of
> std::string input parameters (like 'name' of riskybond - not handled
> like objects) in addinclasses.py.
>
> In some part of the code I have left statements of the type
> --- if __name__ == "__main__": ---. You can ignore them since you
> invoke 'python main.py -o'. The previous statement --- if __name__
> --- is for debugging since I can execute the file alone without
> executing main.py.
>

> Regards,
>    Lars Callenbach
>

> Am Montag, den 13.02.2017, 14:20 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:
> > Hi again,
> > I am not sure what I was asking makes sense anymore; something is
> > failing when I add some extra functions but not sure where.
> > Some add ok some do not, so it might just be syntax staring in
> > front
> > of my nose.
> >
> > I am looking at the code and some files contain non portable paths
> > like line 275 of enumeratedobjects.py :
> >     pmd = ParseMetaData('/work/QuantLib-Addin/gensrc/metadata',
> > 'Calc')
> > this does not prevent things from working on my side however.
> > guess it is not being used?
> >
> > Best
> > PP

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

Lars Callenbach-2
Hi,

some comments below.

Best regards,
  Lars

Am Dienstag, den 14.02.2017, 11:31 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
> I did realize I dont need abstract base classes. I had declared
> RiskyFixedBond and therefore I needed to have currencies, that went
> all right. Also I am declaring CDS but I get problems with the type
> conversion of the protection side and the schedule type (also in the
> defaultable bond). If I understood your doc I wrote:
>
> ImplicitConversionsCalc = [
>     ("QuantLib::Protection::Side",  "std::string", "string",
> "EnumeratedType", "<<"),
> ]
>
> QuantLibTypes = [
>     ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp",
> "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Buyer",
> "QuantLib::Protection::Buyer"),
>     ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp",
> "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Seller",
> "QuantLib::Protection::Seller"),
> ]

###
That declaration should work (analoguous to Option::Type). The
parameter type in the addin interface should be
QuantLib::Protection::Side.
###
> is that ok? For the scehdule I will pull your code and figure it out.
>
> Also I have moved the code under "./gensrc/code" to
> "./gensrc/codesrc"  the reason is that if I want to debug the python
> tools with eclipse or any other debugger it gets confused with /code/
> and the python libraries.
###
I will change it ...
###
> Antoher minor point is that the parser is very picky on not having
> carriage returns on the parameter list of constructors, it fails if
> theres one.
###
The *.py files under the metadata directory are parsed in python
syntax. It should be possible to use a backslash at the end of a line
for a line break like

    ("Constructor", "ql/experimental/credit/riskybond.hpp",
        "QuantLib::RiskyFixedBond(std::string Name, QuantLib::Currency
Ccy, \
        QuantLib::Real RecoveryRate,
QuantLib::Handle<QuantLib::DefaultProbabilityTermStructure> DefaultTS,
\
        QuantLib::Schedule Schedule, QuantLib::Real Rate,
QuantLib::DayCounter DayCounter, \
        QuantLib::BusinessDayConvention PaymentConvention,
std::vector<QuantLib::Real> Notionals, \
        QuantLib::Handle<QuantLib::YieldTermStructure> YieldTS)",
        "", "qlRiskyFixedBond"),
###

> Best regards
> pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hello Lars, thank you for the reply.
Somehow the Position enum wasnt being generated in the sources and I realized it has to be declared in a separate file; is this intended?

Theres some chaotic behaviour, like default TS calibrating to different values to the previous time I openend the worksheet but I dont know if this is a serialization or a Calc problem. Looks like resetting the eval date cleans up things. I'll try to get an specific user case.

I just sent a pr
Best
pp

> Am Dienstag, den 14.02.2017, 11:31 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:
> > Hi,
> > I did realize I dont need abstract base classes. I had declared
> > RiskyFixedBond and therefore I needed to have currencies, that went
> > all right. Also I am declaring CDS but I get problems with the type
> > conversion of the protection side and the schedule type (also in
> > the
> > defaultable bond). If I understood your doc I wrote:
> >
> > ImplicitConversionsCalc = [
> >     ("QuantLib::Protection::Side",  "std::string", "string",
> > "EnumeratedType", "<<"),
> > ]
> >
> > QuantLibTypes = [
> >     ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp",
> > "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Buyer",
> > "QuantLib::Protection::Buyer"),
> >     ("EnumeratedType", "ql/default.hpp",
> > "QuantLib::Protection::Side", "std::string", "Seller",
> > "QuantLib::Protection::Seller"),
> > ]
> >
> ###
> That declaration should work (analoguous to Option::Type). The
> parameter type in the addin interface should be
> QuantLib::Protection::Side.
> ###
> > is that ok? For the scehdule I will pull your code and figure it
> > out.
> >
> > Also I have moved the code under "./gensrc/code" to
> > "./gensrc/codesrc"  the reason is that if I want to debug the
> > python
> > tools with eclipse or any other debugger it gets confused with
> > /code/
> > and the python libraries.
> ###
> I will change it ...
> ###
> > Antoher minor point is that the parser is very picky on not having
> > carriage returns on the parameter list of constructors, it fails if
> > theres one.
> ###
> The *.py files under the metadata directory are parsed in python
> syntax. It should be possible to use a backslash at the end of a line
> for a line break like
>
>     ("Constructor", "ql/experimental/credit/riskybond.hpp",
>         "QuantLib::RiskyFixedBond(std::string Name,
>         QuantLib::Currency
> Ccy, \
>         QuantLib::Real RecoveryRate,
> QuantLib::Handle<QuantLib::DefaultProbabilityTermStructure>
> DefaultTS,
> \
>         QuantLib::Schedule Schedule, QuantLib::Real Rate,
> QuantLib::DayCounter DayCounter, \
>         QuantLib::BusinessDayConvention PaymentConvention,
> std::vector<QuantLib::Real> Notionals, \
>         QuantLib::Handle<QuantLib::YieldTermStructure> YieldTS)",
>         "", "qlRiskyFixedBond"),
> ###
> > Best regards
> > pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

Lars Callenbach-2
Hi,

Enums are not generated automatically. They have to be defined in
conversions. For further discussions please provide the metadata code
you generated. Without it I cannot assist you ...

A remark concerning the spreadsheet: under "Settings" the
evaluationdate is set to Today(). So calculations might change from day
to day since schedules are generated based on this date (schedules are
not defined statically, they are calculated based on evaluationdate and
the calendar (holidays) is different from NullCalendar ...). If you
would like to change this: just replace Today() with the date of your
choice in "Settings". Then everything should work as you expect.

Best regards,
   Lars

Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2017, 11:02 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hello Lars, thank you for the reply.
> Somehow the Position enum wasnt being generated in the sources and I
> realized it has to be declared in a separate file; is this intended?
>
> Theres some chaotic behaviour, like default TS calibrating to
> different values to the previous time I openend the worksheet but I
> dont know if this is a serialization or a Calc problem. Looks like
> resetting the eval date cleans up things. I'll try to get an specific
> user case.
>
> I just sent a pr
> Best
> pp

Re: LibreOffice/Calc addin

japari
Hi Lars,
sorry I must have explained myself poorly;
The enum (QuantLib::Position) does works, it is just that it worked by moving the code to a separate python file rather than having it within my own creditdefaultswap.py file.
The date in the worksheet I was talking about is a user defined one, not the system date. I was not referring to your sample worksheet. But as I said, do not take my word on this before I had properly define a user case that can be reproduced easily.
Happy to be a tester; in fact I think I will ditch my own stuff since yours is more clear and far easier to use; I hope I am contributing somehow
Best
pp