Linux Port

Bernd Johannes Wuebben-2
Hi,

        I sent nando an initial embryonicGNU/Linux port. Generates makefiles
dynamically, almost everything compiles. More when I have another five
minutes.

Initial impressions:

        I am unhappy about the heavy use of templates and the stl. Its going to
bite you on many platforms (guys there is a whole world out there apart from
Macs and Windows machines...) and the bloat is going to be considerable.

        Is the license compatible with the GPL? Has someone verified with Richard?

            We need to talk seriously about the architecture sometime soon.

        Other than that I think you guys have contributed a very nice start code
base. Thank you!

Got to run ...
-- Bernd

Re: Linux Port

Bernd Johannes Wuebben-2
On Monday 18 December 2000 13:18, you wrote:

> >Initial impressions:
> >
> >         I am unhappy about the heavy use of templates and the stl. Its
> > going to
> >bite you on many platforms (guys there is a whole world out there apart
> > from Macs and Windows machines...) and the bloat is going to be
> > considerable.
>
> Luigi will reply to this one. In the meantime can you elaborate on which
> platform you think we will have problems?
> QuantLib compiles on Win32, Mac and (hopefully soon) on Linux.
> Sun Solaris is the only other platform used in financial world I can think

I think that completely and utterly depends on the firm. We have everything
from Sun, IBM, HP boxes.  Not everywhere do you have
the GNU developer tools But hey, I personally don't really care about
anything but windows and Linux.

> Of course my approach has some drawback.
> We cannot use GPLed libraries to preserve the QuantLib licence, since GPL
> would contaminate QuantLib. We can use LGPL libraries.

Well, lets see whether we can survive without  great code such as the stats
libs of R etc.

Bernd

Re: Linux Port

Bernd Johannes Wuebben-2
On Monday 18 December 2000 14:52, you wrote:
> I have a pragmatic approach, it's matter of evaluating what will help more:
> GPL code or support from GPL-adverse financial software/consulting

Whether your approach is pragmatic can not be decided at this point
as we have not seen any support from GPL-adverse financial software/consulting
firms. Furthermore, frankly I don't expect anything, probably ever. My KDE
eperiences have been versy sobering.  Companies will ONLY take and _never_
give as far a code is concerned.

As to the GPL code question. I really don't care anymore. I am tired of
anything that involved licensing questions. Very tired. The license
we have currently is fine with me and if we can't use R or orctave stuff,
then so be it.

ps what's that history.h file? Did you even try to compile that using g++
2.95-3? Don't know whether I can quickly fix that one ...

Bernd