Option Adjusted Spread & BDT model

Erica
Hi All,

I'm working on callable bonds and I want to know if it is possible to compute Option Adjusted Spread and Effective Duration/Convexity using quantlib.

Reading some papers I know that usually the used model is the 'Black Derman and Toy' model but looking in quantlib I can see that it is not implemented yet. (I can find only Hull-White Model and Black-Karasinski model)

Is the BDT model implemented?

If the BDT model is not available, is it possible to use in some way the Black Karasinki model instead of the BDT model?
Whats needs to be changed in order to use the BK  model instead of BDT ones? Is there any additional Hypotesis that has to be done to use this different model?

If someone could provide an example or explain me how to find a solution it will be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Erica

Re: Option Adjusted Spread & BDT model

Peter Caspers-4
Hi Erica,

isn’t BK the more general version of BDT? Although I think BDT was originally a discrete-time model, so it’s not exactly the same. Still, probably BK is the closest you can get in QuantLib currently.

Concerning the OAS and effective figures I don’t think they are directly supported, one would need to add small routines on top of the exotic NPV calculation to compute them.

Kind Regards
Peter

> Am 02.05.2016 um 10:37 schrieb Erica <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on callable bonds and I want to know if it is possible to
> compute Option Adjusted Spread and Effective Duration/Convexity using
> quantlib.
>
> Reading some papers I know that usually the used model is the* 'Black Derman
> and Toy'* model but looking in quantlib I can see that it is not implemented
> yet. (I can find only Hull-White Model and Black-Karasinski model)
>
> Is the BDT model implemented?
>
> If the BDT model is not available, is it possible to use in some way the
> Black Karasinki model instead of the BDT model?
> Whats needs to be changed in order to use the BK  model instead of BDT ones?
> Is there any additional Hypotesis that has to be done to use this different
> model?
>
> If someone could provide an example or explain me how to find a solution it
> will be really appreciated.
> Thanks a lot
> Erica

Re: Option Adjusted Spread & BDT model

Erica
Hi Peter,
thanks a lot for your reply.
I know that the OAS formula is not implemented yet in quanlib but what I need is to build a binomial tree model and calibrate it. (and it seems that this is implemented for BK model)
After the tree's calibration, the computation of OAS and effective figures should not be really difficult.
I will try to implement something using BK model and I hope to find what I'm looking for :-)
Regards
Erica

Re: Option Adjusted Spread & BDT model

Erica