Port for Google Go

syates

Hi Dev's, I am interested in creating a port of QuantLib for the
Google Go language at http://code.google.com/p/go/ .

Is this something the community would be interested in?

-Steve

Re: Port for Google Go

Piter Dias-4
Steve,

Hi. How are you?

I know nothing about Go but if you want to interface, instead of porting, SWIG may be your best friend - http://www.swig.org/Doc3.0/Go.html#Go.

Porting seems to be harder, not only because of the amount of existing code, but the evolution of the library itself. QuantLibXL, for example, is very close to QuantLib but it is always some weeks behind in terms of releases. However, I admit that porting may be funnier to work on. :-)

PS.: I only a casual contributor.

Regards,

_____________________
Piter Dias

> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:43:52 +1000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Quantlib-dev] Port for Google Go
>

> Hi Dev's, I am interested in creating a port of QuantLib for the
> Google Go language at http://code.google.com/p/go/ .
>
> Is this something the community would be interested in?
>
> -Steve

Re: Port for Google Go

Luigi Ballabio
Hi Steve,
    as Peter said, SWIG can give you a head start if you manage to make the existing interfaces work with its Go module (they're in the QuantLib-SWIG release, inside the SWIG folder). Also, any class exported to one of the other languages would also be available in Go.

The disadvantage is that using the bindings might cause you to write non-idiomatic Go, and you won't get a chance to reimplement the architecture in terms of the facilities provided by Go. So you'd be calling the library from Go, but the underlying mechanics (observables etc) would still be in C++. And most of the library is not thread-safe, which is probably a big no-no in Go.

I'll leave it to you to weigh pros and cons against each other.

Later,
    Luigi

<https://implementingquantlib.blogspot.com>
<https://twitter.com/lballabio>