Possible future works

james-2

Hi All,

Having learned QuantLib for a while, I’m very impressed by the great design of the software architecture, and I would love to contribute to this project. I’m a software engineer from general signal processing background, but I don’t really have much experience on quantitative  finance. I have read the developers mail list archive but could not find any topic related to possible future works that a developer like me can contribute to. So I would be really appreciated if someone can let me know what is currently missing and will be nice to have in future QuantLib. A list of these possible future works will surely benefit the development of QuantLib.

To start with, do you think a general Expectation-Maximization algorithm could be added into the future to-do-list?

Thanks and regards,

James

Re: Possible future works

Xiang Ni
It seems that EM algo can be found here:

http://code.opencv.org/projects/opencv/repository/revisions/master/entry/modules/ml/src/em.cpp#L126

On Thu, December 18, 2014 3:09 pm, James wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Having learned QuantLib for a while, I'm very impressed by the great
> design
> of the software architecture, and I would love to contribute to this
> project. I'm a software engineer from general signal processing
> background,
> but I don't really have much experience on quantitative  finance. I have
> read the developers mail list archive but could not find any topic related
> to possible future works that a developer like me can contribute to. So I
> would be really appreciated if someone can let me know what is currently
> missing and will be nice to have in future QuantLib. A list of these
> possible future works will surely benefit the development of QuantLib.
>

> To start with, do you think a general Expectation-Maximization algorithm
> could be added into the future to-do-list?
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> James

Xiang Ni,

Department of Mathematics

California Institute of Technology

http://math.caltech.edu/people/xiang-homepage.html

Re: Possible future works

james-2
Hi Xiang Ni,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not surprised that there is a implementation already available. Actually, you can probably find available implementations for most algorithms that we are aware of. But whether the code we find fits the framework (QuantLib) is a question. For instance, the data structures used throughout the algorithm may need to be converted, and this task alone may not be trivial...

Whether an algorithm has already been implemented or not is a bit off the topic. I think a more important question should be - is this algorithm really needed for QuantLib?

Regards,
James

--
Xiang Ni,

Department of Mathematics

California Institute of Technology

http://math.caltech.edu/people/xiang-homepage.html

Re: Possible future works

Luigi Ballabio
Hello,
    do you have a financial use case for the algorithm?

Luigi

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Xiang Ni,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not surprised that there is a implementation already available. Actually, you can probably find available implementations for most algorithms that we are aware of. But whether the code we find fits the framework (QuantLib) is a question. For instance, the data structures used throughout the algorithm may need to be converted, and this task alone may not be trivial...

Whether an algorithm has already been implemented or not is a bit off the topic. I think a more important question should be - is this algorithm really needed for QuantLib?

Regards,
James

It seems that EM algo can be found here:

http://code.opencv.org/projects/opencv/repository/revisions/master/entry/modules/ml/src/em.cpp#L126

On Thu, December 18, 2014 3:09 pm, James wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Having learned QuantLib for a while, I'm very impressed by the great
> design of the software architecture, and I would love to contribute to
> this project. I'm a software engineer from general signal processing
> background, but I don't really have much experience on quantitative
> finance. I have read the developers mail list archive but could not
> find any topic related to possible future works that a developer like
> me can contribute to. So I would be really appreciated if someone can
> let me know what is currently missing and will be nice to have in
> future QuantLib. A list of these possible future works will surely
> benefit the development of QuantLib.
>

> To start with, do you think a general Expectation-Maximization
> algorithm could be added into the future to-do-list?
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> James

> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/quantlib-dev

--
Xiang Ni,

Department of Mathematics

California Institute of Technology

http://math.caltech.edu/people/xiang-homepage.html

Re: Possible future works

james-2

Hi Luigi,

Yes, there are a few financial use cases for the Expectation-Maximization (EM) algorithm. For instance, it can be used to train models of stock market interactions. If we use a model to capture the interactions between the stock markets, EM algorithm can be used to iteratively improve the model until some parameter closely models the data, or until the algorithm times out.

Here is a link that illustrate the above example: http://www.tryfsharp.org/Learn/financial-computing#training-the-model

I’m not from finance background and I’m stilling learning QuantLib, so my proposal may not really fit this library. But please let me know if this could be useful and I will start working on it.

Thanks and regards,

James

It seems that EM algo can be found here:

http://code.opencv.org/projects/opencv/repository/revisions/master/entry/modules/ml/src/em.cpp#L126

On Thu, December 18, 2014 3:09 pm, James wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Having learned QuantLib for a while, I'm very impressed by the great
> design of the software architecture, and I would love to contribute to
> this project. I'm a software engineer from general signal processing
> background, but I don't really have much experience on quantitative
> finance. I have read the developers mail list archive but could not
> find any topic related to possible future works that a developer like
> me can contribute to. So I would be really appreciated if someone can
> let me know what is currently missing and will be nice to have in
> future QuantLib. A list of these possible future works will surely
> benefit the development of QuantLib.
>

> To start with, do you think a general Expectation-Maximization
> algorithm could be added into the future to-do-list?
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> James

> -------- Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT

> Server from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
> Dashboards with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App
> Integration & more Get technology previously reserved for
> billion-dollar corporations, FREE

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=164703151&iu=/4140/ostg.
> clktrk_______________________________________________
> QuantLib-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/quantlib-dev

--
Xiang Ni,

Department of Mathematics

California Institute of Technology

http://math.caltech.edu/people/xiang-homepage.html

Re: Possible future works

Joseph Wang-4
Hi Xiang Ni,

I'm trying to use quantlib for some very basic algo trading with
bitcoin futures.  My wife is also trading HK options, and I'm trying
to write some very basic option pricing systems for her.

My general impression is that it would be better to keep quantlib a
pure derivatives pricing library, and that anything involving machine
learning or algo trading, would be better off in a library that is
separate from quantlib.

The way that I'm structuring my code is that I'm using the python-SWIG
interface to quantlib, and using quantlib only for pricing.
Everything else I'm keeping outside of quantlib, and interface it with
quantlib.  So it would make sense to me to write your code as a
separate library with python interfaces and then use it to glue it to
quantlib.

I have a docker image (joequant/bitstation-prod). that has a installed
python installation with quantlib and a lot of other goodies
installed.

Re: Possible future works

Joseph Wang-4
FYI, I worked at a major investment bank until a year ago when I
started my own company, and the derivatives trading pricing code had
only one feature that quantlib doesn't have, and that's the ability to
dynamically load in parts of the code.

The issue is that because all of the derivatives code is in one
library, it becomes impossible to load in the entire pricing library.
So there is a slick infrastructure in which the derivatives library is
modularized into dozens of small dynamic modules.  When a system needs
to run a c++ class, the system tracks which module it is in and it
autoloads that module.  This was also a bit tricky since it had to run
on both Windows and linux systems.

It would be interesting to see if this could be implemented in
QuantLib.  The autoloading mechanism was written by one person who
took a few months to do it.  Personally, I don't think it would be
worth while to write an autoload mechanism from scratch, but I'd be
interested in knowing if there was some off the shelf system that
could be adapted for quantlib.

Something that would be more low hanging fruit which would be easier
would be to just generate several shared libraries instead of one big
shared library or to have a mechanism by which someone can add a class
to QuantLib, put it into a shared library and be able to work on that
without having to do a complete recompile/relink of the library.