QuantLib in JavaScript

Ismael Ghalimi
Hello,

Is there any plans to do a JavaScript port of QuantLib that could run either on the client or on the server (using something like Node.js)? I know quite a few people who would be interested by this.

If not, what would be the best way to approach such a project?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Ismael

Re: QuantLib in JavaScript

Luigi Ballabio
No plans that I know of.  And I don't want to discourage you, but the
effort would be substantial (we're talking between 200k and 300k lines
of code).  Is there any specific parts of the library you're
interested in? This might narrow the scope and make it easier to get
something working.

Another way might be to wait for JavaScript support in SWIG (last I
heard, they were working on it).  If/when that happens, you could use
the existing SWIG interfaces to call the library from JavaScript.

Luigi

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ismael Ghalimi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any plans to do a JavaScript port of QuantLib that could run either
> on the client or on the server (using something like Node.js)? I know quite
> a few people who would be interested by this.
>
> If not, what would be the best way to approach such a project?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Ismael

Re: QuantLib in JavaScript

Ismael Ghalimi
Luigi,

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

SWIG would be a great start, but for the kind of tools we're considering building, a native port will be necessary (we need everything to run in the client).

For previous ports to other languages, do you have an idea of how much efforts in took (person-months)?

Thanks again for your help.

-Ismael

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
No plans that I know of.  And I don't want to discourage you, but the
effort would be substantial (we're talking between 200k and 300k lines
of code).  Is there any specific parts of the library you're
interested in? This might narrow the scope and make it easier to get
something working.

Another way might be to wait for JavaScript support in SWIG (last I
heard, they were working on it).  If/when that happens, you could use
the existing SWIG interfaces to call the library from JavaScript.

Luigi

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ismael Ghalimi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any plans to do a JavaScript port of QuantLib that could run either
> on the client or on the server (using something like Node.js)? I know quite
> a few people who would be interested by this.
>
> If not, what would be the best way to approach such a project?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Ismael

Re: QuantLib in JavaScript

Luigi Ballabio
No idea of the effort.  You might try asking the JQuantLib people; I
think their port is the most complete.

Luigi

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Ismael Ghalimi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luigi,
>
> Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.
>
> SWIG would be a great start, but for the kind of tools we're considering
> building, a native port will be necessary (we need everything to run in the
> client).
>
> For previous ports to other languages, do you have an idea of how much
> efforts in took (person-months)?
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> -Ismael
>

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> No plans that I know of.  And I don't want to discourage you, but the
>> effort would be substantial (we're talking between 200k and 300k lines
>> of code).  Is there any specific parts of the library you're
>> interested in? This might narrow the scope and make it easier to get
>> something working.
>>
>> Another way might be to wait for JavaScript support in SWIG (last I
>> heard, they were working on it).  If/when that happens, you could use
>> the existing SWIG interfaces to call the library from JavaScript.
>>
>> Luigi
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ismael Ghalimi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Is there any plans to do a JavaScript port of QuantLib that could run
>> > either
>> > on the client or on the server (using something like Node.js)? I know
>> > quite
>> > a few people who would be interested by this.
>> >
>> > If not, what would be the best way to approach such a project?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>> >
>> > -Ismael

Re: QuantLib in JavaScript

Ismael Ghalimi