QuantLib1.7.1

eric2016
Hi,
First time for me with QuantLib, looking forward to use it and learn. I downloaded QuantLib-1.7.1, installed boost_1_60_0\lib32-msvc-10.0. Everything seems to work fine except that the build never ends. The last build informations are:
1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : Bonds, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
1>  Bonds.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe
2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
2>  testsuite.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe
and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010 or VS community 2015). No error message, no warning...
I must have missed something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes named QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.
My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 Ghz and 6Go RAM.
It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm lost.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric

_____________________________________
Sent from http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com

Re: QuantLib1.7.1

Peter Caspers-4
Hi,

is the file being built still growing (you can see that in the Explorer, pressing F5 to update the figures) ? Then give it a minute or two, I remember that it can take MSVC quite long to write the final file to disk (don’t know why). If the file size is constant, then there is another problem though.

Regards
Peter

> Hi,
> First time for me with QuantLib, looking forward to use it and learn. I downloaded QuantLib-1.7.1, installed boost_1_60_0\lib32-msvc-10.0. Everything seems to work fine except that the build never ends. The last build informations are:
> 1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : Bonds, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> 1>  Bonds.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe
> 2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> 2>  testsuite.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe
> and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010 or VS community 2015). No error message, no warning...
> I must have missed something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes named QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.
> My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 Ghz and 6Go RAM.
> It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm lost.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Eric
>

> _____________________________________
> Sent from http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com

Re: QuantLib1.7.1

Klaus Spanderen-2

Hi,

A friend of mine has reported exactly the same issue using the 32 bit visual studio and the 32 bit linker. Switching to the 64 bit linker has fixed the problem (even if you build the 32 bit version). He was using Visual Studio 2013 and has observed the issue on multiple machines.

Seems to me that we are hitting some 32 bit memory limits with the current set-up but I haven't fully understood what is really causing the issue.

regards

Klaus

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 02:26:37 PM Peter Caspers wrote:

> Hi,

> is the file being built still growing (you can see that in the Explorer,

> pressing F5 to update the figures) ? Then give it a minute or two, I

> remember that it can take MSVC quite long to write the final file to disk

> (don’t know why). If the file size is constant, then there is another

> problem though.

> Regards

> Peter

> > Am 30.03.2016 um 11:18 schrieb [hidden email]:

> > Hi,

> > First time for me with QuantLib, looking forward to use it and learn. I

> > downloaded QuantLib-1.7.1, installed boost_1_60_0\lib32-msvc-10.0.

> > Everything seems to work fine except that the build never ends. The last

> > build informations are: 1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : Bonds,

> > Configuration : Release Win32 ------ 1> Bonds.vcxproj ->

> > C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio

> > 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe

> > 2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration :

> > Release Win32 ------ 2> testsuite.vcxproj ->

> > C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio

> > 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.

> > exe and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010

> > or VS community 2015). No error message, no warning... I must have missed

> > something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes named

> > QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.

> > My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @

> > 2.40 Ghz and 6Go RAM. It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm

> > lost.

> > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > Eric

> > _____________________________________

> > Sent from http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com

> > ---- Transform Data into Opportunity.

> > Accelerate data analysis in your applications with

> > Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.

> > Click to learn more.

> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785471&iu=/4140

> -- Transform Data into Opportunity.

> Click to learn more.

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785471&iu=/4140

Re: QuantLib1.7.1

eric2016

Peter,

Unfortunately the file doesn't grow. Everything seems frozen in Visual Studio. I stopped the build 10 hours after having launching it.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regards,

Eric

> Message du 30/03/16 14:26

> De : "Peter Caspers" <[hidden email]>
> A : [hidden email]
> Copie à : [hidden email]
> Objet : Re: [Quantlib-users] QuantLib1.7.1
>
> Hi,
>
> is the file being built still growing (you can see that in the Explorer, pressing F5 to update the figures) ? Then give it a minute or two, I remember that it can take MSVC quite long to write the final file to disk (don’t know why). If the file size is constant, then there is another problem though.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> > Am 30.03.2016 um 11:18 schrieb [hidden email]:
> >
> > Hi,
> > First time for me with QuantLib, looking forward to use it and learn. I downloaded QuantLib-1.7.1, installed boost_1_60_0\lib32-msvc-10.0. Everything seems to work fine except that the build never ends. The last build informations are:
> > 1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : Bonds, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> > 1> Bonds.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe
> > 2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> > 2> testsuite.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe
> > and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010 or VS community 2015). No error message, no warning...
> > I must have missed something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes named QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.
> > My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 Ghz and 6Go RAM.
> > It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm lost.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Eric
> >

> > _____________________________________
> > Sent from http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com

Re: QuantLib1.7.1

    I think I had the same problem in a Windows virtual machine where I was testing next release.  Eric, did you by any chance enable Klaus's parallel test runner? If so, the three QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe were the sub-processes spawned by it. In your case, they were frozen at 0% CPU for some reason; in my case, two of them were running but not sending any output to the IDE.  When I stopped them from the task manager and ran the build again (no recompilation, just choosing "build solution" again) they started writing the test-suite messages to the IDE as expected.
Also, I don't have lots of statistics (actually, just one run) but I didn't have problems with the default test runner.

Hope this helps,
    Luigi

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 10:44 AM Nere Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:

Peter,

Unfortunately the file doesn't grow. Everything seems frozen in Visual Studio. I stopped the build 10 hours after having launching it.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regards,

Eric

> Message du 30/03/16 14:26

> De : "Peter Caspers" <[hidden email]>
> A : [hidden email]
> Copie à : [hidden email]
> Objet : Re: [Quantlib-users] QuantLib1.7.1

> Hi,
>
> is the file being built still growing (you can see that in the Explorer, pressing F5 to update the figures) ? Then give it a minute or two, I remember that it can take MSVC quite long to write the final file to disk (don’t know why). If the file size is constant, then there is another problem though.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> > Am 30.03.2016 um 11:18 schrieb [hidden email]:
> >
> > Hi,
> > First time for me with QuantLib, looking forward to use it and learn. I downloaded QuantLib-1.7.1, installed boost_1_60_0\lib32-msvc-10.0. Everything seems to work fine except that the build never ends. The last build informations are:
> > 1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : Bonds, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> > 1> Bonds.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe
> > 2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration : Release Win32 ------
> > 2> testsuite.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe
> > and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010 or VS community 2015). No error message, no warning...
> > I must have missed something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes named QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.
> > My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 Ghz and 6Go RAM.
> > It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm lost.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Eric
> >

> > _____________________________________
> > Sent from http://quantlib.10058.n7.nabble.com

Re: QuantLib1.7.1

Klaus Spanderen-2
Hi Luigi,

Does it mean that the parallel test runner is unstable on a virtual machine?
Do you have any idea what went wrong or have you ascertain this behavior more
often?

thanks and regards
Klaus

On Friday, April 15, 2016 01:48:27 PM Luigi Ballabio wrote:

Hi,
> [...]

Win32 ------
> > 1> Bonds.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio
2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\Examples\Bonds\.\bin\Bonds-vc100-mt.exe
> > 2>------ Début de la génération : Projet : testsuite, Configuration :
Release Win32 ------
> > 2> testsuite.vcxproj -> C:\Users\eric\Documents\Visual Studio
2010\Projects\QuantLib-1.7.1\test-suite\bin\QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe
> > and then, nothing else happens (target Debug or Release, with VS2010 or VS
community 2015). No error message, no warning...
> > I must have missed something. I can see in the task manager 3 processes
named QuantLib-test-suite-vc100-mt.exe with for each of them 0% of CPU usage.
> > My configuration is an ASUS laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40
Ghz and 6Go RAM.

> > It's probably stupid but for the time being I'm lost.

Luigi Ballabio
Hi Klaus,
    no idea what went wrong. It doesn't seem to be he virtual machine per se; I had the problem on VC10 but not on VC14. Also, I didn't try to reproduce it again.  I'll try again when I get back to the office in a couple of days.

Luigi