RV: KQuantlib [Re: Quantlib design]

Gilbert Peffer
Hi guys,
I would like to make a suggestion re Excel/StarOffice and
what-not-spreadsheet-Aps. At my previous job in, we used a very
flexible spreadsheet solution on the trading floor for
Excel/Applix, allowing us to export functionality as soon as we
added it to the quant libraries. The trick was to get away from
the old Addin approach, where you merely make available functions
on the spreadsheet level. The way we did this is to handle
objects rather than functions on the spreadsheet level. In fact,
this was done using only three addins: An <object-create> addin,
a <result> addin, and an <error> addin.

Although I have implemented this here at my office using only
VBA, I remember that our investment bank solution (allowing
proper real-time response for instance) needed some adjustments
at the Applix and Excel back-end. If any of you guys is very good
in office application and API programming, I wouldn't mind
working with that person on a spreadsheet interface. I totally
agree that this is will dramatically increase the attractiveness
of QuantLib to potential testers/users.

Please send me your comments and ideas.

All the best for the New Year

Gilbert