Re: Calc Addin under Linux for QuantLibAddin-1.5.0

Re: Calc Addin under Linux for QuantLibAddin-1.5.0

japari
Hello again Lars,
Sorry for the blackout; I was struggling with it and had not much to contribute with. But your last branch did help me a lot and save me quite a bit of time an effort. A big thank you.

I am building it ok on Linux and running the worksheets. I am providing a pedestrian Makefile for it. I can not do it with Makefile.oo as it is now. The Makefile is very basic but the idea is that eventually both Makefiles merge into a proper am file. It just provides a dynamic linked lib and installs it. Prerequisites on the environment are the same ones you mention.

There are a couple of differences. I dont install the way you do (my system needs sudo for that); I use a component file and my manifest file is fixed (this is the only collision I see with your make). Its similar to the standard add-in example in the uno sdk. Also the way I generate from the idl has a few unnecessary dependences, its also taken from the example.

I am adding this into github.com/japari/quantlib/tree/Calc_linuxmake This is a branch that I created from the PR you sent to Eric but when I uploaded to GitHub it only lets me PR to Erics fork. Can you take the changes into your branch please? I prefer that rather than issuing a PR to Eric.

Is there anyone working on this on Windows?

Best
Pepe

My TODO list (comments on Makefile.linux results)
-Useful functions like OHrangeRetrieveError are missing.
-At least some functions, if not all, fail when called without all arguments given; i.e. there are no default values taken in.
-Error codes as numbers are ugly.
-Consider renaming the Add-In service to "QuantLib" ? This might be more tidy when looking for a function in the Calc drop down menu.
-Debug the Makefile dependencies; when launching the Makefile with '-j' things go wrong: ...'at times'... theres no ./com/* generation, or too late and as a result the f's are not shown. No complains about missing includes though....
-Trim the idl compilation; lots of stuff there not used.

Re: Calc Addin under Linux for QuantLibAddin-1.5.0

japari
I have started to debug/test worksheets and things sort of work. Something that I dont understand; is OH working? Why I can not see the instantiation numbering (or whatever you call it) after the object name? Do you see this on MacOS?

Best
Pepe

> Sorry for the blackout; I was struggling with it and had not much to
> contribute with. But your last branch did help me a lot and save me
> quite a bit of time an effort. A big thank you.
>
> I am building it ok on Linux and running the worksheets. I am
> providing a pedestrian Makefile for it. I can not do it with
> Makefile.oo as it is now. The Makefile is very basic but the idea is
> that eventually both Makefiles merge into a proper am file. It just
> provides a dynamic linked lib and installs it. Prerequisites on the
> environment are the same ones you mention.
>
> There are a couple of differences. I dont install the way you do (my
> system needs sudo for that); I use a component file and my manifest
> file is fixed (this is the only collision I see with your make). Its
> similar to the standard add-in example in the uno sdk. Also the way
> I generate from the idl has a few unnecessary dependences, its also
> taken from the example.
>
> I am adding this into github.com/japari/quantlib/tree/Calc_linuxmake
> This is a branch that I created from the PR you sent to Eric but
> when I uploaded to GitHub it only lets me PR to Erics fork. Can you
> take the changes into your branch please? I prefer that rather than
> issuing a PR to Eric.
>
> Is there anyone working on this on Windows?
>
> Best
> Pepe
>
> My TODO list (comments on Makefile.linux results)
> -Useful functions like OHrangeRetrieveError are missing.
> -At least some functions, if not all, fail when called without all
> arguments given; i.e. there are no default values taken in.
> -Error codes as numbers are ugly.
> -Consider renaming the Add-In service to "QuantLib" ? This might be
> more tidy when looking for a function in the Calc drop down menu.
> -Debug the Makefile dependencies; when launching the Makefile with
> '-j' things go wrong: ...'at times'... theres no ./com/* generation,
> or too late and as a result the f's are not shown. No complains
> about missing includes though....
> -Trim the idl compilation; lots of stuff there not used.

Eric Ehlers-3
Hello,

> I have started to debug/test worksheets and things sort of work.
> Something that I dont understand; is OH working? Why I can not see
> the instantiation numbering (or whatever you call it) after the
> object name? Do you see this on MacOS?

My very vague recollection from working on the Calc addin years ago was
that it was not possible to implement that ID counter because it relied
on some functionality that was available in Excel but not in Calc.
This recollection is backed up by the screenshot on the QuantLibAddin
web site:  http://quantlib.org/quantlibaddin/index.html

Of course Lars's new LibreOffice addin is a completely different beast
so I don't know whether it suffers from the same limitation.

Cheers,
Eric

Re: Calc Addin under Linux for QuantLibAddin-1.5.0

Lars Callenbach

Hi Pepe,

I have not implemented a counter for objects id's. But I have activated "ohObjectSave", "ohObjectLoad" and some logging functions from the ObjectHandler (serialization.xml and logging.xml) - it works under Linux.

Since the handling of the basic types is defined a lot of functions in xml files can be activated/checked. I have not looked for all addin functions (that can be activated for Calc) since I want to test the activated functions at first. I would like to have some sample spreadsheets showing their application. Maybe we can share the work of testing and extending the xml files for Calc?

One remark concerning OhRangeRetrieveError: I think it is not necessary in the current implementation since the return type of addin functions is SEQ(SEQ(ANY)) [matrix of any (string, float) value]- in the case of exceptions the error message will be returned instead of the objectID/calculated results. You should see this in the code and in Calc.

Kind regards,
   Lars

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. August 2015 um 10:07 Uhr
Von: [hidden email]
An: "Lars Callenbach" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [Quantlib-dev] Calc Addin under Linux for QuantLibAddin-1.5.0
I have started to debug/test worksheets and things sort of work. Something that I dont understand; is OH working? Why I can not see the instantiation numbering (or whatever you call it) after the object name? Do you see this on MacOS?

Best
Pepe

> Sorry for the blackout; I was struggling with it and had not much to
> contribute with. But your last branch did help me a lot and save me
> quite a bit of time an effort. A big thank you.
>
> I am building it ok on Linux and running the worksheets. I am
> providing a pedestrian Makefile for it. I can not do it with
> Makefile.oo as it is now. The Makefile is very basic but the idea is
> that eventually both Makefiles merge into a proper am file. It just
> provides a dynamic linked lib and installs it. Prerequisites on the
> environment are the same ones you mention.
>
> There are a couple of differences. I dont install the way you do (my
> system needs sudo for that); I use a component file and my manifest
> file is fixed (this is the only collision I see with your make). Its
> similar to the standard add-in example in the uno sdk. Also the way
> I generate from the idl has a few unnecessary dependences, its also
> taken from the example.
>
> I am adding this into github.com/japari/quantlib/tree/Calc_linuxmake
> This is a branch that I created from the PR you sent to Eric but
> when I uploaded to GitHub it only lets me PR to Erics fork. Can you
> take the changes into your branch please? I prefer that rather than
> issuing a PR to Eric.
>
> Is there anyone working on this on Windows?
>
> Best
> Pepe
>
> My TODO list (comments on Makefile.linux results)
> -Useful functions like OHrangeRetrieveError are missing.
> -At least some functions, if not all, fail when called without all
> arguments given; i.e. there are no default values taken in.
> -Error codes as numbers are ugly.
> -Consider renaming the Add-In service to "QuantLib" ? This might be
> more tidy when looking for a function in the Calc drop down menu.
> -Debug the Makefile dependencies; when launching the Makefile with
> '-j' things go wrong: ...'at times'... theres no ./com/* generation,
> or too late and as a result the f's are not shown. No complains
> about missing includes though....
> -Trim the idl compilation; lots of stuff there not used.

Hello Lars,

Most of the differences in making worksheets run I have noticed so far are not too important: some of these might have nothing to do with the code but the way Calc works, some might be my build. I have just started to play with it so it might just be some stupid input I am entering.

-> Objects do not get automatic ids so the ones with an empty id are in error. They have to have overwrite set to true as a result; this is related to not having counters I guess.

-> Default values not assigned? Or at least empty fields need to be there separated by commas.

-> If you open the wsheet and hit F2 on a formula it might give you a "#MACRO?" message. If you go into the Function Wizard or modify an input the same formula would work. Subsequent calls within the cell work ok. F9 does not do the trick either; I am going one by one now.

-> When trying to get a TS object I get an error (tried for default and yield TS) ERROR: qlYieldTSDiscount: empty Handle cannot be dereferenced. This one of course stops everything else.

-> When creating an schedule I get an 'unrecognized type' error: see cell CreditMarket::D38 if I use a function call within the call (for the date in this case)

I am testing on this worksheet:
QuantLibXL/StandaloneExamples/Credit/RiskyBonds.xls
So far only the first too sheets.

which I am uploading to
https://github.com/japari/quantlib/tree/Calc_linuxmake

My LibreOffice: Version: 4.2.8.2 Build ID: 420m0(Build:2 . boost 157 gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04)

On the error messages; fine yes I see the errors. Its just the unrecognised function left. But thats not a big deal.

Best
Pepe

> I have not implemented a counter for objects id's. But I have
> activated "ohObjectSave", "ohObjectLoad" and some logging functions
> from the ObjectHandler (serialization.xml and logging.xml) - it
> works under Linux.
>
> Since the handling of the basic types is defined a lot of functions
> in xml files can be activated/checked. I have not looked for all
> addin functions (that can be activated for Calc) since I want to
> test the activated functions at first. I would like to have some
> sample spreadsheets showing their application. Maybe we can share
> the work of testing and extending the xml files for Calc?
>

> One remark concerning OhRangeRetrieveError: I think it is not
> necessary in the current implementation since the return type of
> addin functions is SEQ(SEQ(ANY)) [matrix of any (string, float)
> value]- in the case of exceptions the error message will be returned
> instead of the objectID/calculated results. You should see this in
> the code and in Calc.
>
> Kind regards,
> Lars
>

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. August 2015 um 10:07 Uhr
> Von: [hidden email]
> An: "Lars Callenbach" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [Quantlib-dev] Calc Addin under Linux for
> QuantLibAddin-1.5.0
> I have started to debug/test worksheets and things sort of work.
> Something that I dont understand; is OH working? Why I can not see
> the instantiation numbering (or whatever you call it) after the
> object name? Do you see this on MacOS?
>
> Best
> Pepe

One way or another, whatever enhancements are made to the Calc addin, I
would love to get them into my repo eventually.

Kind Regards,
Eric