Term Structures

Ben-163

Could someone explain the term structures to me.  The swap valuation
example builds a PieceWiseFlatForward term structure based on a vector of
RateHelpers.  Firstly, can I ask what are these Helper classes - ie
RateHelper?  Ive heard the term used outside of QUantLib.

Im looking to discount in a manner similar to Instrument::swap.  I guess
this should work with any term structure passed in, for now Im just
looking to test discounting, based on a fixed interest rate, ie:
PresentVal = myCashflow->amount() *
termStructure_->discount(cashFlowDate);  My problem is coming up with a
simple term structure to do this with.  Which one should I be using? And
is there an example of its use anywhere?

Thanks in advance
Ben

--
Ben