Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Michael-643
Dear all,

I'm trying to compile the python swig extension. Unfortunately this is not working. My current setup looks like this.

- QuantLib Version 1.1
- Python Version 2.7.2
- Visual Studio 2010 SP1

When I try to compile the python swig extensions I get the following error:
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'QuantLib._QuantLib' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.ba
I googled for solutions, but all the indications I found were similar to what I found here:

http://slacy.com/blog/2010/09/python-unable-to-find-vcvarsall-bat/

Essentially the problem seems to be: python 2.7 is only "designed" to be compiled with VS2008 (and before) and you can not mix a (pre)compiled python 2.7 with libraries compiled with VS2010.

Now, it is not that easy to have an older version of VS installed on my system and in any case I would really prefer to stick with VS2010.

The question is: does anybody have a similar setup to mine and was able to compile the python swig extensions? If so, did you have to change things and what exactly has it been?

Kind regards,

Michael

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Ferdinando M. Ametrano-3
Hi Micheal

in order to achieve your goal you should compile Python with VC2010,
or Pyhton and QL bindings would never link.
Anyway that is definitely not the suggested way to go, as you might
discover that also QL is not friendly with VC2010.

Try to go back to VC2008. I for one would probably just skip VC2010 altogheter

ciao -- Nando

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to compile the python swig extension. Unfortunately this is not
> working. My current setup looks like this.
>
> - QuantLib Version 1.1
> - Python Version 2.7.2
> - Visual Studio 2010 SP1
>
> When I try to compile the python swig extensions I get the following error:
>
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building 'QuantLib._QuantLib' extension
> error: Unable to find vcvarsall.ba
>
> I googled for solutions, but all the indications I found were similar to
> what I found here:
>
> http://slacy.com/blog/2010/09/python-unable-to-find-vcvarsall-bat/
>
> Essentially the problem seems to be: python 2.7 is only "designed" to be
> compiled with VS2008 (and before) and you can not mix a (pre)compiled python
> 2.7 with libraries compiled with VS2010.
>
> Now, it is not that easy to have an older version of VS installed on my
> system and in any case I would really prefer to stick with VS2010.
>
> The question is: does anybody have a similar setup to mine and was able to
> compile the python swig extensions? If so, did you have to change things and
> what exactly has it been?

> Kind regards,
>
> Michael

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Didrik Pinte-5
On 5 July 2012 16:09, Ferdinando Ametrano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Micheal
>
> in order to achieve your goal you should compile Python with VC2010,
> or Pyhton and QL bindings would never link.
> Anyway that is definitely not the suggested way to go, as you might
> discover that also QL is not friendly with VC2010.
>
> Try to go back to VC2008. I for one would probably just skip VC2010 altogheter
>
> ciao -- Nando
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile the python swig extension. Unfortunately this is not
>> working. My current setup looks like this.
>>
>> - QuantLib Version 1.1
>> - Python Version 2.7.2
>> - Visual Studio 2010 SP1
>>
>> When I try to compile the python swig extensions I get the following error:
>>
>> running build
>> running build_py
>> running build_ext
>> building 'QuantLib._QuantLib' extension
>> error: Unable to find vcvarsall.ba

This is an issue with distutils that is not aware of VC2010. By
tweaking your environment variables, you can bypass that.

You might have issues related to the manifest in you files. I have
solved that issue with Cython and some wrappers built under VS2010
lately. I don't know how SWIG behaves though.

-- Didrik

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Nando,
    I agree with VC2008 being the preferred compiler for the Python
module, but what do you mean with "QL is not friendly with VC2010"?

Luigi

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Ferdinando Ametrano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Micheal
>
> in order to achieve your goal you should compile Python with VC2010,
> or Pyhton and QL bindings would never link.
> Anyway that is definitely not the suggested way to go, as you might
> discover that also QL is not friendly with VC2010.
>
> Try to go back to VC2008. I for one would probably just skip VC2010 altogheter
>
> ciao -- Nando
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile the python swig extension. Unfortunately this is not
>> working. My current setup looks like this.
>>
>> - QuantLib Version 1.1
>> - Python Version 2.7.2
>> - Visual Studio 2010 SP1
>>
>> When I try to compile the python swig extensions I get the following error:
>>
>> running build
>> running build_py
>> running build_ext
>> building 'QuantLib._QuantLib' extension
>> error: Unable to find vcvarsall.ba
>>
>> I googled for solutions, but all the indications I found were similar to
>> what I found here:
>>
>> http://slacy.com/blog/2010/09/python-unable-to-find-vcvarsall-bat/
>>
>> Essentially the problem seems to be: python 2.7 is only "designed" to be
>> compiled with VS2008 (and before) and you can not mix a (pre)compiled python
>> 2.7 with libraries compiled with VS2010.
>>
>> Now, it is not that easy to have an older version of VS installed on my
>> system and in any case I would really prefer to stick with VS2010.
>>
>> The question is: does anybody have a similar setup to mine and was able to
>> compile the python swig extensions? If so, did you have to change things and
>> what exactly has it been?
>>
>> Any help would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Michael

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Ferdinando M. Ametrano-3
>     I agree with VC2008 being the preferred compiler for the Python
> module, but what do you mean with "QL is not friendly with VC2010"?

Is the 2010 project actively maintained?

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Luigi Ballabio
Sure it is.  At the very least, the one released in 1.2 works.

Luigi

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ferdinando Ametrano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is the 2010 project actively maintained?

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Ferdinando M. Ametrano-3
ok... so shame on me as the problem is just for QLXL which is not
supported in 2010... :-(

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure it is.  At the very least, the one released in 1.2 works.
>
> Luigi
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ferdinando Ametrano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is the 2010 project actively maintained?

Re: Use QuantLib Swig Python Extension with VS2010

Eric Ehlers-2
Quoting Ferdinando Ametrano <[hidden email]>:

> ok... so shame on me as the problem is just for QLXL which is not
> supported in 2010... :-(

i can try to rectify that when i package up the final release.

Eric Ehlers
nazcatech sprl | Brussels | http://www.nazcatech.be
* Distributed computing for pricing analytics
* Use Microsoft Excel as a client to the Grid