tarballs

Luigi Ballabio-2
Hi all,
        tarballs of the branch are available at http://quantlib.org/gm if you want
to play with them.

Later,

quantlib.el ? (Was: tarballs)

Dirk Eddelbuettel
I get

make[2]: Entering directory /home/edd/src/debian/QuantLib-0.3.3'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target quantlib.el', needed by all-am'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/edd/src/debian/QuantLib-0.3.3'

but as make says, there is no quantlib.el (or .elc) anywhere. I am building
in a chroot without emacs or xemacs, which configure duly noted. Do I really
need either one?  And was it the mystery elisp file quantlib.el?

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx

Examples ? (Was: tarballs)

Dirk Eddelbuettel
Another point:  the examples no longer build as part of 'make', and they
don't seem to respont, once built, to 'make install'.

Is that intentional?

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx

Re: Examples ? (Was: tarballs)

Luigi Ballabio-2
On 2003.07.26 15:15, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Another point:  the examples no longer build as part of 'make', and
> they don't seem to respont, once built, to 'make install'.
>
> Is that intentional?

It is. They build only if you say "make examples", and don't get
installed---there's no much use for them as installed binaries, as
you can't even pass them any parameters. The sources are
the really useful part. Maybe you can add them to the docs package?

As for quantlib.el, I uploaded new tarballs. I don't really know what
automake will say when it'll see that you don't have emacs. If it
complains loudly and stops, I'll have to try and add a conditional in
there...

Later,

Re: Examples ? (Was: tarballs)

Dirk Eddelbuettel
On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 05:03:30PM +0200, Luigi Ballabio wrote:

> On 2003.07.26 15:15, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >
> >Another point:  the examples no longer build as part of 'make', and
> >they don't seem to respont, once built, to 'make install'.
> >
> >Is that intentional?
>
> It is. They build only if you say "make examples", and don't get
> installed---there's no much use for them as installed binaries, as
> you can't even pass them any parameters. The sources are
> the really useful part. Maybe you can add them to the docs package?

Err, earth to quantlib, earth to quantlib, ...  The examples have been
available (as binaries) in a separate package quantlib-examples for as long
as there have been Debian packages. [1]  They are useful, see e.g. the
screenshot of my Quantian 'open mosix and apps on a bootable cd' project
where the BermudanSwaption is used to test openMosix :) So that said, I
would like to see 'make' build them and 'make install' install them. As
'make examples' builds them, could we settle on 'make install-examples' to
install them?

And yes, the example sources have always been installed as examples in the
-dev package.

> As for quantlib.el, I uploaded new tarballs. I don't really know what
> automake will say when it'll see that you don't have emacs. If it
> complains loudly and stops, I'll have to try and add a conditional in
> there...

Well, so do I understand this as emacs now beeing a build requirement? No
sweat, I will simply add it. That said, you should still add code to have it
behave gracefully in case a vi addict tries to build QL ....  :)

Ciao, Dirk

[1]

edd@homebud:~> apt-cache search quantlib
libquantlib0 - Quantitative Finance Library -- development package
libquantlib0-dev - Quantitative Finance Library -- library package
quantlib-examples - Quantitative Finance Library -- example binaries
quantlib-python - Python bindings for the Quantlib Quantitative Finance library
quantlib-refman - Quantitative Finance Library -- reference manual
quantlib-ruby - Ruby bindings for the Quantlib Quantitative Finance library
r-cran-rquantlib - GNU R package interfacing the QuantLib finance library

On 2003.07.26 17:31, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Err, earth to quantlib, earth to quantlib, ...

Roger, earth.

> The examples have been available (as binaries) in a separate package
> quantlib-examples for as long as there have been Debian packages.

Oh, I see. You're a traditionalist :)

> As 'make examples' builds them, could we settle on 'make install-
> examples' to install them?

Ok, I'll do it. Or, I could add an option to configure to have them
built and installed by default. I'll see what I can do.

> Well, so do I understand this as emacs now beeing a build requirement?

No, I don't think that would be nice. I'll try and figure out how to
inhibit that part of the installation when emacs is missing.
Later,
        Luigi