unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib

unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib

ThomasB
Hello,

I have installed Visual Studio Community 2013, QuantLib and Boost and have gone through the steps of building the complete quantlib project as per http://quantlib.org/install/vc10.shtml guidelines.
I created a new project under QuantLib_vc11.
I both built Quantlib and the project in Debug Mode. No errors.

Then when I try to debug, I have the following error:
"unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib".

Do you know where it comes from?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas
PS. Can we use QuantLib with CodeBlocks?

Re: unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib

Luigi Ballabio
Hello,
    you're debugging with the QuantLib project as the startup project. Since QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib is a library, and not an executable file, the debugger rightly complains that it can't start it.

Before launching the debugger, select your new project as the start-up project instead. (I'm assuming that your new project defines a main function and creates an executable, right?) This will cause the debugger to start your program with QuantLib linked.

As for CodeBlocks: there's no included project for it, but QuantLib works with most (if not all) compilers it supports. Creating a new project in CodeBlocks and adding all the sources in the ql folder should enable you to create QuantLib. Note that you'll have to tell CodeBlocks to create a library; I'm not familiar with the IDE, so I'm not able to advise on how to do that.

Luigi

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM ThomasB <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have installed Visual Studio Community 2013, QuantLib and Boost and have
gone through the steps of building the complete quantlib project as per
http://quantlib.org/install/vc10.shtml guidelines.
I created a new project under QuantLib_vc11.
I both built Quantlib and the project in Debug Mode. No errors.

Then when I try to debug, I have the following error:
"unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib".

Do you know where it comes from?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas
PS. Can we use QuantLib with CodeBlocks?

Re: unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib

ThomasB
Hello Luigi,
thanks a lot for your answer. This was precisely the issue!
I started with a new project, not QuantLib project. The main function with some quantlib objects inside worked well.
Thanks also for your answer on CodeBlock. I will continue with Visual Studio as it works well now.
Thomas

Re: unable to start program QuantLib-vc120-mt-gd.lib

igitur

I got QuantLib to compile on CodeBlocks using the MSVC compiler, but there were a few obstacles. See the ticket that I logged at https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/23/ and the discussion linked there.

If you can, I'd recommend sticking to Visual Studio.

Francois