A new mailing-list for Quants??

A S-8
Hi Folks,

Only recently have I entered the world of financial
modeling. In the past I've searched in vain for a
thriving special interest group for quants, where I
could inquire about certain  theoretical & practical
aspects of quantitative analysis. More recently there
have been a couple of posts inquiring about examples
and/or perhaps the theoretical basis of some
implementation. I was wondering whether the QuantLib
pioneers feel it might be appropriate to initiate a
new mailing-list (under the auspices of Quantlib?)
where one can discuss not only Quantlib specifics but
perhaps exchange examples of QL usage, discuss
underlying theory, new developments, experiences with
particular methodologies etc.etc..

Many thanks to the QL pioneers for their effort. I
suspect that QL's going to snowball into a great
library.

MP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/

Re: A new mailing-list for Quants??

Marco Marchioro-2
Howdy,
         you are welcome!
I'll give you my opinion as a pioneer.

Why yet another mailing list? This is what
<[hidden email]> is for:
Indeed one of the first aims of quantlib-users is to discuss
"examples of QL usage" and more.
Another mailing list just for hyper-theoretical questions
is destined to die very soon unless there is a critical mass.
I would rather see a broader amount of subjects discussed in this
very mailing list.
In this way, these theoretical questions could also find concrete
answers, maybe backed by code.
Among the many big accomplishments of QuantLib there is one that
has not been reached so far: establish a connection between the
practitioner and the academic worlds. This is what would make QuantLib
into the missing standard that we are all looking for. Posting
some higher-level problems maybe will attract more people from
the academic world.

Therefore, go ahead "discuss underlying theory, new developments,
experiences with particular methodologies etc.etc.. ". One day, hopefully,
we will see twenty questions a day and that day we will branch
this mailing list into two parts.

looking forward for THAT day,
                         Marco Marchioro.

At 01:04 PM 3/19/02 -0800, A S wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Only recently have I entered the world of financial
>modeling. In the past I've searched in vain for a
>thriving special interest group for quants, where I
>could inquire about certain  theoretical & practical
>aspects of quantitative analysis. More recently there
>have been a couple of posts inquiring about examples
>and/or perhaps the theoretical basis of some
>implementation. I was wondering whether the QuantLib
>pioneers feel it might be appropriate to initiate a
>new mailing-list (under the auspices of Quantlib?)
>where one can discuss not only Quantlib specifics but
>perhaps exchange examples of QL usage, discuss
>underlying theory, new developments, experiences with
>particular methodologies etc.etc..
>
>Many thanks to the QL pioneers for their effort. I
>suspect that QL's going to snowball into a great
>library.
>
>MP.

Re: A new mailing-list for Quants??

Ferdinando M. Ametrano-2
Hi all

MP wrote:
>Only recently have I entered the world of financial
>modeling. In the past I've searched in vain for a
>thriving special interest group for quants, where I
>could inquire about certain  theoretical & practical
>aspects of quantitative analysis.
see the "Lists of interest for financial quantitative analysts" page at
http://quantlib.org/lists.html
finance-and-physics and the wilmott forum are quite active

>I was wondering whether the QuantLib pioneers feel it might be appropriate
>to initiate a new mailing-list where one can discuss not only Quantlib
>specifics but perhaps exchange examples of QL usage, discuss underlying
>theory, new developments, experiences with
>particular methodologies etc.etc..
Until a few weeks ago quantlib-users had low traffic, so more lists make no
sense.
Things are changing so I've added quantlib-jobs lately.

A new quantlib-finance list could be an interesting place for discussion
and even for posting of papers/abstract. I don't have the time and
knowledge to ensure an high level of discussion, to avoid unanswered
questions, etc. but I can set up the list if there is enough interest.
Email me your feedback or even better answer the survey at
https://sourceforge.net/survey/survey.php?group_id=12740&survey_id=12871
(it requires a SourceForge account)

ciao -- Nando