Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

vkc

Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

vkc
I downloaded the binary and tried to add the add-in xll\QuantLibXL-vc120-x64-mt-s-1_8_0.xll in Excel 2016 (64-bit) (in Options->Add-in), but Excel complained that it is not a valid add-in.

I tried to use depends.exe to look at the 64-bit QLXL add-in to find any missing dependencies but it can't find anything (it works on the 32-bit QLXL add-in though)

Then I tried to load the 32-bit add-in in Excel 2016 (64-bit) (Options->Add-in), it didn't generate any error messages, but when I opened the example spreadsheet StandaloneExamples\Analytics\YieldCurveBootstrapping.xls, all the formula has #NAME error and I couldn't use it.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
Hello,

> I downloaded the binary and tried to add the add-in
> xll\QuantLibXL-vc120-x64-mt-s-1_8_0.xll in Excel 2016 (64-bit) (in
> Options->Add-in), but Excel complained that it is not a valid add-in.

What happens if you open the XLL file using File/Open?

What about version 1.7?

Is there anyone else here who has 64-bit Excel who could help with
troubleshooting?

Regards,
Eric

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

igitur
I can confirm the problem.

I'm on Excel 2013 64b. 1.7 works fine, but 1.8 can't be added.

regards

Francois Botha

On 6 December 2016 at 10:14, Eric Ehlers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> I downloaded the binary and tried to add the add-in
> xll\QuantLibXL-vc120-x64-mt-s-1_8_0.xll in Excel 2016 (64-bit) (in
> Options->Add-in), but Excel complained that it is not a valid add-in.

What happens if you open the XLL file using File/Open?

What about version 1.7?

Is there anyone else here who has 64-bit Excel who could help with
troubleshooting?

Regards,
Eric

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
Many thanks for the verification, that is helpful.

I have received a message from a colleague who says that he has a copy
of 64-bit Excel and that he will investigate the problem this
weekend.

In the meantime any troubleshooting that anyone could perform would be
helpful.  I can't think what changed between 1.7 and 1.8 to cause this
problem.

Kind Regards,
Eric

vkc

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

vkc
If I open the x64 xll file (v1.8) directly, Excel complains that the file format and extension don't match, and that the file could be corrupted.

As Francois confirmed, I tried v1.7 x64 xll and it also works fine in Excel 2016 64-bit.

I noticed the v1.8 x64 xll file is unusually small (only 2MB) while v1.7 x64 xll is 24.5MB, perhaps the file is corrupted?

Thanks!

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
I just attempted a full rebuild of the 64 bit build.  All of the
compilation completed successfully and relatively quickly.  At the
very start of the linking phase, it created an XLL file with a size of
2MB.  It then went on to attempt the link, which appeared to hang.

So that corrupted XLL file must be the one that got released.

One evening later this week I will kick off the build overnight to see
if it ever completes successfully.

I still don't understand what changed since 1.7.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 18:01:56 +0200
Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's true! It's exactly 200 000 bytes of null chars.
>
> Francois Botha
>
> On 6 December 2016 at 16:26, vkc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I open the x64 xll file (v1.8) directly, Excel complains that
> > the file format and extension don't match, and that the file could
> > be corrupted.
> >
> > As Francois confirmed, I tried v1.7 x64 xll and it also works fine
> > in Excel 2016 64-bit.
> >
> > I noticed the v1.8 x64 xll file is unusually small (only 2MB) while
> > v1.7 x64
> > xll is 24.5MB, perhaps the file is corrupted?
> >
> > Thanks!

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Nicholas Manganaro-2
Hi, Eric and all.
I have tried compiling QL 1.8.0, 1.8.1 and 1.9.0 several times using various combination of Boost and QL_XL.

I'm using Win 10, 64 bit Excel, VS 2012.

Given Win 10 auto updates, it is unclear from time to time what might have changed behind the scenes, so I thought it worth trying ql_1.8.1 with Boost 161 after ql_1.9.0 failed with Boost 162, and I read Luigi's note about the possible ill effects of 192 with earlier versions of QL.

I'm any case, I have captured the 3 errors in the compilation, including the 1 fatal error and can send the text to the mailing list. It seems that only the ql.xll file compilation is failing, as 9 of 10 objects were reported to have built successfully.
Regards,
-Nick
On Dec 6, 2016 1:53 PM, Eric Ehlers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just attempted a full rebuild of the 64 bit build.  All of the
> compilation completed successfully and relatively quickly.  At the
> very start of the linking phase, it created an XLL file with a size of
> 2MB.  It then went on to attempt the link, which appeared to hang.
>
> So that corrupted XLL file must be the one that got released.
>
> One evening later this week I will kick off the build overnight to see
> if it ever completes successfully.
>
> I still don't understand what changed since 1.7.
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 18:01:56 +0200
> Francois Botha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That's true! It's exactly 200 000 bytes of null chars.
> >
> > Francois Botha
> >
> > On 6 December 2016 at 16:26, vkc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > If I open the x64 xll file (v1.8) directly, Excel complains that
> > > the file format and extension don't match, and that the file could
> > > be corrupted.
> > >
> > > As Francois confirmed, I tried v1.7 x64 xll and it also works fine
> > > in Excel 2016 64-bit.
> > >
> > > I noticed the v1.8 x64 xll file is unusually small (only 2MB) while
> > > v1.7 x64
> > > xll is 24.5MB, perhaps the file is corrupted?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
Hi Vincent,

Sorry for letting this slip, life got in the way.

I think I may have fixed the problem, I'd be grateful if you or someone
with 64-bit Excel could try this file and let us know if it's OK:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/quantlib/files/QuantLibXL/1.8.0/QuantLibXL-vc120-x64-mt-s-1_8_0.xll

I kicked off the same full rebuild again before bed.  It appeared to
hang at the same spot, but this morning I see that it seems to have
completed successfully at 1AM and produced a file with a sensible size.

Kind Regards,
Eric

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 19:53:33 +0100

vkc

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

vkc
Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for fixing it. I just tried it in Excel 2016 64-bit and it works fine for me.

Regards,
Vincent

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
Fantastic, thanks for the confirmation.

At present in the 1.8 directory on the downloads page the packaged
releases contain the bad file and the good file is separate.

Cheers,
Eric

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 22:41:01 -0700 (MST)
vkc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks a lot for fixing it. I just tried it in Excel 2016 64-bit and
> it works fine for me.
>
> Regards,
> Vincent

Re: Is QuantLibXL 1.8 compatible with Excel 2016 64-bit?

Eric Ehlers-3
P.S.  On the downloads page I have now patched the two zip files that
contained the corrupt XLL - QuantLibXL-1.8.0-bin.zip and
QuantLibXL-1.8.0-x64-RateCurveFramework.zip - and I deleted the lone
QuantLibXL-vc120-x64-mt-s-1_8_0.xll file.

Regards,
Eric

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:38:08 +0100