RV: java interface [Mail virus free]

Gilbert Peffer
>Great. Just a thought: Java is very much hyped as the Internet language,
>but once you decide to keep your calculations server-side, a CGI
in Python
>could be just as good. However, I think a Java module is a thing we can
>consider.

You're probably right. Apart from the Internetability, I wanted to
make some of the QuantLib stuff accessible via simple small
applications. It will either be through VB or JAVA (is there any
other feasible option?)
Cheers, Gilbert

>Bye,
>         Luigi

>>In case you found the label [Mail virus free] in the subject of
>this mail,
>>that is only because I forgot to remove it before replying.
>>The label was added by our new internet provider - they want to make the
>>point that they practice safe mailing. Of course we all know that
>there is
>>no such thing, therefore you can happily disregard it.

Re: RV: java interface [Mail virus free]

enrico.sirola-3

    >> Great. Just a thought: Java is very much hyped as the Internet
    >> language, but once you decide to keep your calculations
    >> server-side, a CGI
    Gilbert> in Python
    >> could be just as good. However, I think a Java module is a
    >> thing we can consider.

    Gilbert> You're probably right. Apart from the Internetability, I
    Gilbert> wanted to make some of the QuantLib stuff accessible via
    Gilbert> simple small applications. It will either be through VB
    Gilbert> or JAVA (is there any other feasible option?)  Cheers,
    Gilbert> Gilbert

hmmm if you need to access your business objects from different
languages (Java, VB or whatever) you need to set up some sort of
distribuited objects architecture to wrap them.
Anyway, the examples you just cited are the worst interoperability
case:

microsoft has his own distribuited object technology (COM/DCOM), while
Java natively support a well-known widely accepted standard (CORBA), so if you
need to access business objects from _both_ VB _and_ java, you need a
CORBA -> COM bridge or a COM -> CORBA bridge. There are commercial
solutions to this kind of problem (not very cheap really IMHO -- I'm
thinking at Iona products).
Just to cite a case, CORBA is used by the Gnome Project as standard
for its office automation stuff (we could thing at a gnumeric plug-in
that gives gnumeric some QuantLib functionalities -- it could widen
WuantLib's audience a lot btw)
I hope I answered to you question
Bye,
enri

--
Enrico Sirola <[hidden email]>
gpg public key available from wwwkeys.pgp.net

Re: RV: java interface

Luigi Ballabio-3
At 04:37 PM 7/10/01 +0200, Gilbert Peffer wrote:
>Apart from the Internetability, I wanted to
>make some of the QuantLib stuff accessible via simple small
>applications. It will either be through VB or JAVA (is there any
>other feasible option?)

I haven't looked much into it, but wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/)
could be one.

Bye,