test-suite coverage

Peter Caspers-4
Hi Luigi, all,

I ran a code coverage analysis highlighting parts of the library's
code which are not executed by the test-suite (on the current master).
You can download the result with (e.g.)

wget -O quantlib_code_coverage.zip
https://github.com/pcaspers/doc/blob/master/quantlib_code_coverage.zip?raw=true

or by entering the url directly into a browser. Then unpack the
archive and open index.html. There are help pages contained explaining
the meaning of the numbers and colors used to highlight non-covered
source code lines. While I do not fully understand all of the dark
yellow marks yet, the yellow and red ones look plausible and useful.
As well as the list of totally uncovered files of course.

I thought this could be interesting to share. I created the output
using the code coverage tool of the Intel C++ compiler 16.0 (which is
free to use in the context of open source projects).

Thank you
Peter

Re: test-suite coverage

Luigi Ballabio
Hi Peter,
    thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
We'll have to think how to act on the info...

Luigi

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's quite ok, isn't it, 80% of the files covered, including the
experimental branch. One idea I had was that if people want to get
involved into coding but do not know where to start, they could add
some test cases for not-yet-covered code in an area they are
interested in. Another use case could be that if someone suspects a
bug in some function, she or he could check if the code is at all
covered by the tests (and if not, it wouldn't be too surprising that
something may go wrong with it). Theoretically speaking ;-)
Peter

On 7 September 2015 at 23:24, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>     thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
> We'll have to think how to act on the info...
>
> Luigi
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Luigi, all,
>>
>> I ran a code coverage analysis highlighting parts of the library's
>> code which are not executed by the test-suite (on the current master).
>> You can download the result with (e.g.)
>>
>> wget -O quantlib_code_coverage.zip
>>
>> https://github.com/pcaspers/doc/blob/master/quantlib_code_coverage.zip?raw=true
>>
>> or by entering the url directly into a browser. Then unpack the
>> archive and open index.html. There are help pages contained explaining
>> the meaning of the numbers and colors used to highlight non-covered
>> source code lines. While I do not fully understand all of the dark
>> yellow marks yet, the yellow and red ones look plausible and useful.
>> As well as the list of totally uncovered files of course.
>>
>> I thought this could be interesting to share. I created the output
>> using the code coverage tool of the Intel C++ compiler 16.0 (which is
>> free to use in the context of open source projects).
>>
>> Thank you
>> Peter

> --
>
> <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
> <http://implementingquantlib.com>
> <http://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: test-suite coverage

Luigi Ballabio
Well, actually when I said that I expected worse I was looking at the 32% of the code blocks :)

I agree on directing people there. Maybe we should put the results somewhere on the quantlib site?

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, it's quite ok, isn't it, 80% of the files covered, including the
experimental branch. One idea I had was that if people want to get
involved into coding but do not know where to start, they could add
some test cases for not-yet-covered code in an area they are
interested in. Another use case could be that if someone suspects a
bug in some function, she or he could check if the code is at all
covered by the tests (and if not, it wouldn't be too surprising that
something may go wrong with it). Theoretically speaking ;-)
Peter

On 7 September 2015 at 23:24, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>     thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
> We'll have to think how to act on the info...
>
> Luigi
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Luigi, all,
>>
>> I ran a code coverage analysis highlighting parts of the library's
>> code which are not executed by the test-suite (on the current master).
>> You can download the result with (e.g.)
>>
>> wget -O quantlib_code_coverage.zip
>>
>> https://github.com/pcaspers/doc/blob/master/quantlib_code_coverage.zip?raw=true
>>
>> or by entering the url directly into a browser. Then unpack the
>> archive and open index.html. There are help pages contained explaining
>> the meaning of the numbers and colors used to highlight non-covered
>> source code lines. While I do not fully understand all of the dark
>> yellow marks yet, the yellow and red ones look plausible and useful.
>> As well as the list of totally uncovered files of course.
>>
>> I thought this could be interesting to share. I created the output
>> using the code coverage tool of the Intel C++ compiler 16.0 (which is
>> free to use in the context of open source projects).
>>
>> Thank you
>> Peter

> --
>
> <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
> <http://implementingquantlib.com>
> <http://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: test-suite coverage

japari
Hello,
I know it does not serve the same purpose but there might be some information in running the same experiment with the examples or the various add-ins/wrappers. If there is still some dark areas those might be the first ones to include in the test-suite.
Best

> Well, actually when I said that I expected worse I was looking at the
> 32% of the code blocks :)
>

> I agree on directing people there. Maybe we should put the results
> somewhere on the quantlib site?
>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Peter Caspers < [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> Yes, it's quite ok, isn't it, 80% of the files covered, including the
> experimental branch. One idea I had was that if people want to get
> involved into coding but do not know where to start, they could add
> some test cases for not-yet-covered code in an area they are
> interested in. Another use case could be that if someone suspects a
> bug in some function, she or he could check if the code is at all
> covered by the tests (and if not, it wouldn't be too surprising that
> something may go wrong with it). Theoretically speaking ;-)
> Peter
>
> On 7 September 2015 at 23:24, Luigi Ballabio <
> [hidden email] > wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> > thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
> > We'll have to think how to act on the info...
> >
> > Luigi
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM Peter Caspers <
> > [hidden email] > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Luigi, all,
> >>
> >> I ran a code coverage analysis highlighting parts of the library's
> >> code which are not executed by the test-suite (on the current
> >> master).
> >> You can download the result with (e.g.)
> >>
> >> wget -O quantlib_code_coverage.zip
> >>
> >> https://github.com/pcaspers/doc/blob/master/quantlib_code_coverage.zip?raw=true
> >>
> >> or by entering the url directly into a browser. Then unpack the
> >> archive and open index.html. There are help pages contained
> >> explaining
> >> the meaning of the numbers and colors used to highlight
> >> non-covered
> >> source code lines. While I do not fully understand all of the dark
> >> yellow marks yet, the yellow and red ones look plausible and
> >> useful.
> >> As well as the list of totally uncovered files of course.
> >>
> >> I thought this could be interesting to share. I created the output
> >> using the code coverage tool of the Intel C++ compiler 16.0 (which
> >> is
> >> free to use in the context of open source projects).
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> Peter

> > --
> >
> > < http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/ >
> > < http://implementingquantlib.com >
> > < http://twitter.com/lballabio >
>
> --
>

> < http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/ >
> < http://implementingquantlib.com >
> < http://twitter.com/lballabio >

Re: test-suite coverage

Peter Caspers-4
Luigi, you will never make it into marketing ;-) -- yes, good idea,
let's put it on the ql site
Peter

On 9 September 2015 at 11:09, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, actually when I said that I expected worse I was looking at the 32% of
> the code blocks :)
>
> I agree on directing people there. Maybe we should put the results somewhere
> on the quantlib site?
>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it's quite ok, isn't it, 80% of the files covered, including the
>> experimental branch. One idea I had was that if people want to get
>> involved into coding but do not know where to start, they could add
>> some test cases for not-yet-covered code in an area they are
>> interested in. Another use case could be that if someone suspects a
>> bug in some function, she or he could check if the code is at all
>> covered by the tests (and if not, it wouldn't be too surprising that
>> something may go wrong with it). Theoretically speaking ;-)
>> Peter
>>
>> On 7 September 2015 at 23:24, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Peter,
>> >     thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
>> > We'll have to think how to act on the info...
>> >
>> > Luigi

>> > --
>> >
>> > <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
>> > <http://implementingquantlib.com>
>> > <http://twitter.com/lballabio>
>
> --
>
> <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
> <http://implementingquantlib.com>
> <http://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: test-suite coverage

Luigi Ballabio
Peter, I already knew marketing isn't my thing. Did you notice how much space I give in my book to the shortcomings of the library? :)

Wait. Did I just market my book? My mind is blown!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Luigi, you will never make it into marketing ;-) -- yes, good idea,
let's put it on the ql site
Peter

On 9 September 2015 at 11:09, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, actually when I said that I expected worse I was looking at the 32% of
> the code blocks :)
>
> I agree on directing people there. Maybe we should put the results somewhere
> on the quantlib site?
>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Peter Caspers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it's quite ok, isn't it, 80% of the files covered, including the
>> experimental branch. One idea I had was that if people want to get
>> involved into coding but do not know where to start, they could add
>> some test cases for not-yet-covered code in an area they are
>> interested in. Another use case could be that if someone suspects a
>> bug in some function, she or he could check if the code is at all
>> covered by the tests (and if not, it wouldn't be too surprising that
>> something may go wrong with it). Theoretically speaking ;-)
>> Peter
>>
>> On 7 September 2015 at 23:24, Luigi Ballabio <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Peter,
>> >     thanks, it's very interesting. (And not as bad as I thought.)
>> > We'll have to think how to act on the info...
>> >
>> > Luigi

>> > --
>> >
>> > <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
>> > <http://implementingquantlib.com>
>> > <http://twitter.com/lballabio>
>
> --
>
> <http://leanpub.com/implementingquantlib/>
> <http://implementingquantlib.com>
> <http://twitter.com/lballabio>

Re: test-suite coverage

Peter Caspers-4
On 9 September 2015 at 11:45,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I know it does not serve the same purpose but there might be some information in running the same experiment with the examples or the various add-ins/wrappers. If there is still some dark areas those might be the first ones to include in the test-suite.
> Best

Yes, but the examples do not do any hard checks in general (maybe
implicitly if you look at the output produced and notice unplausible
values). So from my point of view they do not qualify really as tests
?

Re: test-suite coverage

Hi all,
    an updated version of the coverage data for version 1.7 is now available at <http://quantlib.org/coverage/>. Thanks to Peter for providing them.